Corroded zipper - how to get unstuck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Body Glove dive bag I use for local boat trips. I guess I didn't wash it well enough in the beginning because now both ends of the zipper for one fin side pocket are stuck making it useless, and one end of the main compartment and the other fin pocket are stuck. At least the other end of those two compartments still work. I’ve tried soaking it overnight in fresh water, vinegar, baking soda solution and WD 40. None of those have helped unstick the zippers. Any ideas on how to get them unstuck? At least I didn’t buy the bag but won it in a raffle at the local dive club and I’ve probably used it on about 40-50 local boat trips. I still use it but am afraid that if one more end gets stuck then it starts to be useless.

Surprised those didn't work. Last ditch effort: see if you can find a product called CLR (stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust). Here they sell it in the cleaning supplies at the grocery store or at a "big box" store. Saturate it well a bunch of times, maybe scrubbing it with a tooth brush (then get a new toothbrush afterwards :D ). It might do it....

Good luck!

Last edited:
Another thing I have tried is pouring boiling water over it (probably best to remove dive gear first). Works about 30% of the time. May be worth a shot.

There is also a product called Salt-X or Salt Away that works well.

Rex-I have the same problem with my Apeks Reg bag. I soaked the zippers with CLR and sprayed WD-40 after that. Still stuck......

Problem with corroded zippers is that they will corrode between the teeth and will actually expand and make the fit extremely tight. Many times it will be so tight that a simple soaking will not solve the problem because there is no room for the liquid to penetrate into.

I have had to leave mine soaking for over 2 weeks so that it could penetrate fully. Even then it required a lot of work moving the zipper back and forth with constant cleaning to get it fully operational again.

I have since learned that plastic zippers are definitely the easiest to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom