Question Corroded Spline Nut on a G260 .. how to loosen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duglum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just tried taking apart a Scubapro G260 that hasn't been serviced for about 6 years (whoops, still working great though).

But the spline nut is corroded shut on the barrel. I can't get if off.. at least not without using an amount of force that might not be very healthy for the nylon casing.
Am i correct in that the nut is made from aluminium? Sitting on a chrome plated brass barrel.. which would be.. suboptimal.

Right now it's sitting in the vise with some WD-40 sprayed onto the threads.. but so far (about an hour in) that didn't do anything.
I thought i'd try warm water with a bit of vinegar for a few hours next.
Or i'll just throw the whole thing into the ultrasonic as it is.. since it's getting a service anyway it wouldn't matter that the barrel floods.

Did anyone experience something like this? What did you do?

Edit: Damn it... i posted too early. It came lose now.. i should've never doubted the mighty WD-40. :)

sometimes gently hitting a piece will unstuck the stuck pieces, I'd try with a plastic "hammer piece" that's from my experience... dont break anything though :)

I'd say avoid more than 20min with 20%vinegar 80% water to avoid corrosion

It already came lose, WD-40 saved the day again. But thanks so much for your reply!

Didn't even think about hammering/impact force.. but then again the casing should be glass fibre reinforced nylon.. so should be pretty impact resistant. Maybe i'll try that if the next one is as stubborn as this one was.

And just for entertainment.. don't let your regs get this crusty kids. 😁

Attachments

• 20240823_181251.jpg
    20240823_181251.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 46
Our fish may not be as pretty, but sure as heck our water doesn't kill our gear...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom