Cooler water, it is true

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
75 degree water on VB today, with the current ripping north to south. It was also north to south on Palancar this morning, but not as chilly. It appears as if a large body of cold, fresh water is lurking about because you could see the cold water, much the same as it appears in a cenote.

Those north to south currents close to shore happen, actually eddies of the gyre. 75 is cool.

Yes, felt it several times, pockets of 3-5 degree colder water, on Santa Rosa wall today..rough seas, hard to get past palancar. Hopefully tomorrow will be calmer!

We felt the colder water starting to hit Friday on San Clemente. The current switched directions on our Friday night shore dive at the Blue Angel, and it was coming from the north. Although we dove cenotes Saturday, the reports from our dive buddies was of continued temperature declines. I'm glad we dove last week, water was excellent. Rough weather before our arrival, and cooling seas after. Still lovely I'm sure.

Week before temps varied from 78-86 degrees
There's always one of those "You shuda been here last week" people. :)

75 degree water on VB today, with the current ripping north to south. It was also north to south on Palancar this morning, but not as chilly. It appears as if a large body of cold, fresh water is lurking about because you could see the cold water, much the same as it appears in a cenote.
guess I will see for myself later this week and will probably see you on the boat. I am LOVING my new BP/W!

that happened to us in AUGUST once. It rained all night hard, very hard. The next day current was running the opposite direction from normal, and we hit several fresh water pools with a 10 degree temp drop each time.

In fact, that was the day we dropped in on Santa Rosa reef... our group was heading south, when we noticed another group heading directly towards us, drifting very fast. We knew that meant there was a down-welling coming up very shortly somewhere in the middle so our DM and our whole group headed quickly through a swimthrough to the inside of the reef, away from the wall. Freakin' scary!!! Our DM lead us over the sand a bit, then signaled to end the dive. Even he was freaked out. I don't know if that other dive group realized it, or got pulled down, or if nothing happened at all, but it made me very aware of watching all directions around me, especially when the current seems to be weird. That dive was also when our DM, a Cozumel resident his whole life, said it was the first dive he had gotten cold. Ever. And it was August.

robin

The lowest water "normal" temperature I have personally seen in 20 years is 78F. But everyone's temp gage may not be calibrated the same.

When I have seen lower temps it has always been underwater springs of fresh water coming off the wall. Normally, but not always, you can see it as "greasy" looking water which is technically called a halocline, and when you swim into it, it is COLD!

The presence of those fresh water springs seems to be associated with rains and not weird currents. At least that is my impression.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom