Cool your jets...I mean tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm assuming yes, but I would like other opinions/solutions to this problem.

Im going to be doing multiple shore dives per day in florida, and am highly considering buying my own AL80s.

We all know that cars turn to ovens in the sun, which is where the second tank will be stored during the first dive. I'm assuming having your full tank (3000 psi) stored in your 100+ degree car is not good for your tank.

How can I keep my tank safe?
I would buy those window reflectors but are that really that effective?
thoughts?

I think the reflectors are actually fairly effective. No further thoughts.

I have two or three tanks in a Trail Blazer whilst shore diving in Florida. Never had an issue. We will do two hours at Venice, surface for an hour then do another dive.

I have an AL80 and AL100 that I leave in the back of my SUV all the time. Never have had an issue. If they are not in the car, they'll be in the garage which is a good deal warmer than the interior of the SUV.

Do not overfill your tanks by 33% and when they get exceedingly hot in your vehicle be surprised that the HP seats pop.
Other than that...no worries.

Chug
I sad it was a low pressure tank mixed in with the high pressure tanks dag-nabbit!

All of the above and if you are still worried put a wet towel over it.

Bob
-----------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Here's a link that might be of help.

Charles' Law

An 80cf cylinder at 3000psi will increase 5 to 6 psi per degree (F) of temerature increase.

Roughly, a tank that is at 3000psi at 80 degrees will be at to 3450psi at 150 degrees (which is about as hot as you're likely to get inside your car in South Florida - with windows up left in direct sunlight). Is it worthwhile to keep cylinders cooler? Sure, but I don't view it as a critical problem.

Bilsant, i'm familiar with charles law, which brings me to a question- at what pressure are the burst disc (or whatever it's called) rated to "pop" when overfilled?

Bilsant, i'm familiar with charles law, which brings me to a question- at what pressure are the burst disc (or whatever it's called) rated to "pop" when overfilled?

5k on a 3k valve assembly

Bilsant is correct your tank will hold at that temp and pressure there is a small chance you will have a burst disk pop. If that does happen you simply lose your air and may have some denting in your trunk from the tank flailing around. Its actualy more of a concern to the life of O rings than any thing elese prolonged exposure to heat is not good for Plastics. But then again your just talking about a O ring 2$ even for viton. All that said its done all the time and you dont hear alot of stories about them going and i have never heard one about them exploding in a trunk because of heat.

Most valves will have a burst disk rating around the hydro pressure of the tank. Look for where it says TP on your tank the numbers that follow are the hydro test pressure thats the pressure your burst disk should be rated to fail at or near. That said some times they just go from age well below the rated pressure.

This thread is good source of info

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...-pressure-rating-vs-tank-pressure-rating.html

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom