Converting sp mk 20 to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ba_hiker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a ScubaPro MK 20 first stage from a cousin, and wanted to convert it to DIN instead of yoke. Anyone know what is involved? Is this something I can do my self?

Undo said Nut on Yoke.

Install said "Large" hex keyed DIN fitting, install "small" hex keyed filter retainer thingy and other assorted bits. (Don't forget required O-rings, fancy shmancy trim pieces and filter-spring).

I'd tell ya the two hex wrench sizes but I've forgotten. Remove each from said wrench holder and try in hole until you find one that fits close enough not to slip :)

I'd even suggest a TAD of loc-tite blue on threads. Some people do not.

Either way a TAD isn't gonna do any harm.

You can do it. Or get Genesis, he's closer than I am. :) heheheh

Hi Genesis buddy! How's that Diesel running?

It's not too hard a job but you do need to pay attention to torque. That nut should have about 24 ft-lb of torque, so removing the yoke nut is not trivial. Normally a special socket is used. It is possible to do it with a very large crescent wrench but that can easily ding up the yoke nut. Some might suggest you attach it to a tank and turn the reg, but I wouldn't recommend it. It will also take something with a bit of strength (like a padded vice) to hold the reg when you apply that torque for both removal & installation. The right tool to install the DIN fitting is a torque wrench with an allen socket. If you do not have access to the right tools or reasonable substitutes, you might want to let an LDS handle it. If they want more the $20.00 labor, look elsewhere.

He should have no probs on a Mk20 getting a wrench on it. If ya mark it up a tad, it's OK, you're not using it anyways. It's only cosmetic, and it's yours.

Hey DeepScuba I'm with you on a little lock tite! :)

If a good customer comes in I would not even charge them to put it on especilly if they bought the fitting from the shop!

I know you're with me. you taught me man!!

Charge for a dab of Loc-tite?? You cheap ba$txxds :) Yeah yeah I know, charge for the install. I just gave away 3hrs to a good customer of mine just to be nice because of all he spent over the last year.

As always, the family loves ya man. You're the best.

DS

Ain't a big deal.

The trick is getting the old one off. 24ftlbs my tail. A LOT of them are overtightened - when was the last time you saw a torque wrench in a LDS? (like, uh, NEVER!)

Mine are torqued correctly NOW.... :D

Its trivial if you have hex wrenches and can get the original nut off. I have a cut-down socket that makes it easy; remove yoke screw, put socket on, insert 3/8" drive extension through yoke screw hole and have at it. I chuck the reg in a wood-blocked vise so it doesn't get marred up.

Proper torque for the DIN converter's "big nut" is 30-40nm.

Back
Top Bottom