Continuous Web harness or other

Contineous Web harness or other on your BP?

• Contineous Web harness

Votes: 71 77.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The time to cut webbing is minimal. In fact, it probably takes less time to cut webbing than it does to find a black buckle on a black background in the water, then find another black buckle on a black background and undo the velcro. Esp since every BC is different.

With a harness, you at least get a shiny metal buckle in the same place every time (waist). The area between the top of the shoulders and top of the plate is a great place to start hackin' away.

I personally would never use a continuous webbing harness. Let me ask you this: If I had to provide you with a surface rescue where I had to remove your equipment before pulling you onto the boat would you like to have a quick release on your harness or me have to take out my knife and spend the time to cut through your webbing?

I would imagine cutting the webbing to be faster than locating (and perhaps fumbling over) quick release buckles.

edit - I see a few people already mentioned that.

Is the Halcyon Infinity's system considered to be "continuous"?

yes

Continuous on all my plates.

If you need to get me out of it, cut it. Way, way faster than fumbling with various releases. I keep a razor sharp knife on my waist (as do all those I dive with). It cuts through webbing like a hot knife through butter.

I use continuous all the time as well. I have a knife on the LPI hose, and a shears in my dry suit pocket. Either will cut the webbing quickly and easily. Far faster than you can ever get someone out of a standard BCD.

And it's a good test to see if you're reacting appropriately. If I stop you, I'm ok :)

I use continuous. I carry a z-knife in addition to my knife. Cutting wouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, when I have dove from a Zodiac (inflatable boat), I've wished I had installed a fastex buckle on one of the shoulder straps.

How do you guys deal with getting back on board a ladder-less inflatable when you're diving doubles with a continuous harness?

How do you guys deal with getting back on board a ladder-less inflatable when you're diving doubles with a continuous harness?

Same as if you aren't: doff the rig and pull it up.

All my 'tech' training included doff/don. Didn't yours?

Same as if you aren't: doff the rig and pull it up.

All my 'tech' training included doff/don. Didn't yours?

Why would you doff the rig? Because there is some kind of urgency or maybe even emergency requiring it. In that case doffing = cutting.

But you're right, if I'm going to be diving off ladder-less Zodiacs, I might as well be proficient at non-cutting doff/donning. I've adjusted my harness since; I used to wear it too tight. I've moved the tank bands about 1/2" and also lost about 5-10 lbs body weight. Back then I could do the valve drills ok, but I had to strain a little. Now my valve drills are effortless. I suspect doff/don is going to be easier now.

Slamfire,
Over here in the UK you would probably be on a hard boat with a diver lift. It's a comfort thing over a skills issue :)
On a serious note, over here we'd be a bit worried about potential damage to torches and relaxing after the dive.

On a serious note, over here we'd be a bit worried about potential damage to torches and relaxing after the dive.
Tell me about it... After I finally got off my rig the other divers (all with singles, and everybody already inside the boat) pulled up my rig into the boat. I had just jumped in and hadn't had a chance to go over to secure my rig when the divemaster/skipper guns the engine forward and my rig falls over into the fiberglass console and one of my first stage regs takes out a big chunk of fiberglass off the console. Thankfully my reg survived unscathed.

It was the first time this divemaster/skipper led a dive with this boat. She had been practicing and her boss thought it was time for her to take it alone. She still hadn't mastered the art of smooth startings. Also, another diver had dropped his weight belt before, when trying to hand it over to the boat, and I went down to fetch it. I guess, she felt she needed to hurry up since we took longer than expected re-boarding the boat.

Why would you doff the rig? Because there is some kind of urgency or maybe even emergency requiring it .

No, because I can't climb into a ladderless zodiac in a doubles rig.

I was answering your question:

"How do you guys deal with getting back on board a ladder-less inflatable when you're diving doubles with a continuous harness?"

Take it off, hand it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom