Continuous Web harness or other

Contineous Web harness or other on your BP?

• Contineous Web harness

Votes: 71 77.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a bit off-topic, but I very much understand why many dive shops steer students towards BCs instead of BP/w's - the setup of a BP/w can be a PITA! Since I have a bit of the dive bug I don't mind it. In fact, I kind of like it. However, give me an L or XL BC and I can fit it to my body in about 30 seconds. The BP/w has required several dives, and several iterations. This is complicated by the fact that I dive cold water and sizing the BP/w to my body wearing regular clothes is at best a crude approximation to the strap lengths I will need when in a drysuit and floating in the water.

I will admit that the process of fitting the BP/w to myself would have gone more smoothly if I had had a BP/w diver with me, guiding me. I had to rely on the advice a BP/w diver gave me the previous day.

I intend this post as neither a condemnation of BP/w's, nor as a compliment to the system. However, if I had a dive shop and was pushing through X students per month I think that I too would steer them towards BCs - not because it is the best choice for them, but because it would keep me from going crazy trying to fit each of them into a simple BP/w system.

This is a bit off-topic, but I very much understand why many dive shops steer students towards BCs instead of BP/w's - the setup of a BP/w can be a PITA! .......... if I had a dive shop and was pushing through X students per month I think that I too would steer them towards BCs - not because it is the best choice for them, but because it would keep me from going crazy trying to fit each of them into a simple BP/w system.

I ran a dive shop that was equipped with BP&W. It really wasn't any hassle to get the kit sized for students/divers. I just made sure that I had well trained staff, who soon learned to virtually fit the harness by sight. Probably took less than 1 min per diver.

The benefit to the dive shop was that we only had to carry 1/3 of the stock of BCDs, as they were one size fits all.

Lots of customers got to try BP&W with us for the first time. Lots of students did their OW and Rescue courses in BP&W with single-piece harnesses. I got overwhelmingly positive feedback. Only a few (literally 4-5) highly experienced divers said they prefered jacket... but I think they had so much experience with jacket it would be hard to get used to anything else.

We did mostly wreck diving there, and the BP&W suited that perfectly.

I ran a dive shop that was equipped with BP&W. It really wasn't any hassle to get the kit sized for students/divers.

We do tons of Discover Scuba Programs, including a fun "DSD Birthday Party" for kids and we use BP/W and never have a problem. In fact, the "adjusting to the switch to BP/W" that people like to talk about is non-existent if a BP/W is the FIRST rig you ever use.

Recently did a DSD party for a dozen 12yr old girls who ranged in size from about 70lbs to 150lbs. Conducted in-water sessions four at a time with four rigs. Fitting them took no time at all, and no one had a problem "adjusting" to a BP/W.

This is a bit off-topic, but I very much understand why many dive shops steer students towards BCs instead of BP/w's - the setup of a BP/w can be a PITA!

Actually, BC is much harder to fit all kinds of body types. I have had no problems sticking 5'3" petite woman in my BP/W and a 6'3" guy built like a rugby player as well (plus a number of others). Adjustments are done in a few minutes... My BC just simply will not fit some people.

I looked up how to make my own harness, and the only adjustments I have made to it since I got it was to move one d-ring higher and tighten the crotch strap... Which took all of a minute or so...

BC versus BP/W is all personal preference but it's totally not true to say it is more difficult to fit a BP/W versus a BC.

This is a bit off-topic, but I very much understand why many dive shops steer students towards BCs instead of BP/w's - the setup of a BP/w can be a PITA!

I looked up how to make my own harness...

Most of the tutorials I've seen (which granted were like 5 years ago) have you start threading the webbing at the right hip.

Starting in the center (shoulder slots) is MUCH easier, IMO. Thread half the webbing through one side and half through the other side, and then go to work on the shoulder straps. That way you have all the length you need in order to work each side independently, rather than trying to add half an inch to the left hand waist strap by pushing it over from the right through 4 sets of slots and triglides.

Both Deep Sea Supply and Dive Rite have instructions that come with their plates and harnesses. I've had no problem following either and I'm typically not a DIYer.

Threading a HOG harness is about as easy at it comes... Sure it can be a "pain" to perfectly adjust it. How hard is it to pinch webbing together to move a D-ring? Ok you now have to deal with a belt buckle that moves. Woopty doo. When you're in a bathing suit, set it so it sits on your right Hip bone. Will be close in any exposure suit you have to wear. Once the buckle is set, everything else is free to move around wherever you want it. Put left hip D ring on your left hip bone. Shoulder d rings should be halfway between your nipple line and the top of your sternum. That's not rocket science...

I use both depending on situation, no one gear for all diving. Certain gear for certain dives.
Nomad for most stuff
Halcyon Eclipse 30 for teaching
DiveRite Deluxe harness sans quick releases for singles
DiveRite Transplate for doubles
Transpac II for travel

I like the Transplate because it's set up exactly like my Nomad so muscle memory goes straight there, and having the shoulders come to my hips instead of the plate is much more comfortable imho. I use a deluxe harness because it's more comfortable for me for singles diving, but is still a simple harness. Eclipse for teaching cuz that's what we have, and that's what the students use, and they're really nice.
Transpac II is awesome, wish they didn't get rid of it. It's much smaller than the current Transpacs, and is more of a traditional harness then the newer ones. I've got an itty bitty wing on there and it's perfect for AL80 dives and is smaller and lighter than plates.

So I guess the answer to the poll is just "yes"

However, it is possible to have the best of both worlds. I have seen a harness set up with a continuous one piece harness with one shoulder strap longer than the other. A plastic buckle was threaded onto that strap, allowing the diver to snap it together and take up the slack (the excess couple of inches was tucked back under the strap when it was snapped together.) This gave him a little extra wiggle room to get in and out of the harness due to mobility issues in his shoulder, yet still maintained the continuous harness in the event of a buckle failure. And yes, they can fail - I know someone who used a harness with a buckle and had to exit the cave using one hand to hold their harness together after it broke.

Like this?

IMG_1251.jpg

When I did my Adv Nitrox course I had to swim with the clip undone, it was not a problem, no need to hold the harness together and everything stayed in place. Add a stage which will tend to hold the harness together and it's a complete non-issue. I don't use a scooter though. I have also seen similar setups using a stainless steel buckle to hold the harness together, it would be difficult to break one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom