Continuous Web harness or other

Contineous Web harness or other on your BP?

• Contineous Web harness

Votes: 71 77.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon uses a single piece of webbing threaded through the back plate just like any other system out there. The only difference is that they use moulded plastic placed in between the back plate and the webbing to allow it to slide easier. There are no extra buckles or gizmos that change the configuration of the webbing in any way. It sounds like a continuous web harness to me. :wink:

But it's not DIR because there are extraneous parts and pieces (ala the sliding plate thingies)...AND...gasp!!!...it had built-in weight pouches!!!:no:

If you were to do a cave penetration and one of those thingies break...you're gonna die.

From the perspective of someone who has just tried out a BP/w: I was initially concerned about the lack of a sternum strap - backpacks without sternum straps tend to slide off my shoulders. In the water this was a non-issue though because I swim horizontally and with my hands in front of me - gravity does not try to pull off the BP, it pushes it onto your back and my raised arms would prevent the BP from slipping at any rate. Now, I did notice the BP moving around a small amount, but I am confident that most or all of the sway can be eliminated as I continue to cinch things up and get used to the setup.

I'll give the BP several more dives before I decide whether or not to go back to my BC. Thus far I don't hate the BP, but given what I read on SB I had been expecting on my first BP dive that the heavens would open up and fat little children with wings and golden harps would descend singing...

From the perspective of someone who has just tried out a BP/w: I was initially concerned about the lack of a sternum strap - backpacks without sternum straps tend to slide off my shoulders.

And I am convinced that this is exactly why companies provide chest straps. People expect them. Harness...Backpack.... same thing right??

Which is which?
diverite09_transpac.jpg
rucksack.jpg

In the water this was a non-issue though because I swim horizontally and with my hands in front of me - gravity does not try to pull off the BP...

Exactly. That suggests to me that there was very little sincere thought involved with offering harnesses with chest straps.

The fact that some people like the feel of a chest strap, has nothing to do with whether they need one...

I'll give the BP several more dives before I decide whether or not to go back to my BC. Thus far I don't hate the BP, but given what I read on SB I had been expecting on my first BP dive that the heavens would open up and fat little children with wings and golden harps would descend singing...

Nope....and this is why some people borrow a BP&W for 1 or 2 dives, get themselves into a muddle, and then refuse to ever believe that they are a better option.

Dive in the BP&W until you start to feel happy with it. At that time, get back into the water and dive your old jacket. THEN you'll feel the difference :D

Exactly. That suggests to me that there was very little sincere thought involved with offering harnesses with chest straps.

To be fair, my shore dives involved walking a few hundred feet carrying gear. If the distances were greater I might jury-rig a sternum strap for the hike to the dive site.

Patience. There are only so many cherubs to go around, and they are frequently busy with new DSS BP&W users. :wink:

Tobin

Thus far I don't hate the BP, but given what I read on SB I had been expecting on my first BP dive that the heavens would open up and fat little children with wings and golden harps would descend singing...

Were you diving air? Maybe you were not deep enough.

Patience. There are only so many cherubs to go around, and they are frequently busy with new DSS BP&W users. :wink:

Tobin

:rofl2:

I'd even have been happy with a single seraph if the cherubs were all taking care of your customers.

Were you diving air? Maybe you were not deep enough.

Not quite sure how to take that one, Steve. :)

Last edited:
Not quite sure how to take that one, Steve. :)

Had you been narc'd you might have seen everything you wanted and more. Bad joke apparently. Moving on :D.

Dive in the BP&W until you start to feel happy with it. At that time, get back into the water and dive your old jacket. THEN you'll feel the difference :D

Amen to that! I occasionally dive a jacket BC when I'm assisting a class as a divemaster and need to demo BC skills with all of the adjustments and what not. There's just no comparison between a jacket BC and a properly fitted BP/W with single peace harness. The stability, comfort and security of a backplate with single piece harness is unrivaled IMO, and I have plenty of dives in both types of rigs.

Back
Top Bottom