Continuous Web harness or other

Contineous Web harness or other on your BP?

• Contineous Web harness

Votes: 71 77.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally would never use a continuous webbing harness. Let me ask you this: If I had to provide you with a surface rescue where I had to remove your equipment before pulling you onto the boat would you like to have a quick release on your harness or me have to take out my knife and spend the time to cut through your webbing?

I personally would never use a continuous webbing harness. Let me ask you this: If I had to provide you with a surface rescue where I had to remove your equipment before pulling you onto the boat would you like to have a quick release on your harness or me have to take out my knife and spend the time to cut through your webbing?

Speaking for myself.......if you need to cut my harness to provide an effective rescue....cut away. I can replace the $10 worth of webbing.

All you have to do is undo the buckle and it loosens the harness and the crotch strap on the rig. If you do end up cutting the webbing it's not expensive to buy new webbing. :)

Well...my BP&W would probably float away....and my reel would drop.... and my mask would sink....

So, the cut harness would be the least of my worries..

As long as I woke up afterward, I really wouldn't start shouting at you :D

Either you've never cut a harness or something was done wrong. The time it takes to cut one is pretty minimal. Hell, you could probably cut one away faster than undoing the other guy's sternum buckle, waist buckle, cumber bun (jacket bcd). Yep, cut it. Hopefully you inflated my bc at the surface like one should so my rig will float. I'll replace the harness and buy you a case of your favorite beer.

I'd rather you cut the harness than spend time fumbling with buckles and catches that may or may not be the one that actually releases me.

However, it is possible to have the best of both worlds. I have seen a harness set up with a continuous one piece harness with one shoulder strap longer than the other. A plastic buckle was threaded onto that strap, allowing the diver to snap it together and take up the slack (the excess couple of inches was tucked back under the strap when it was snapped together.) This gave him a little extra wiggle room to get in and out of the harness due to mobility issues in his shoulder, yet still maintained the continuous harness in the event of a buckle failure. And yes, they can fail - I know someone who used a harness with a buckle and had to exit the cave using one hand to hold their harness together after it broke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom