Contest: Name Snowbear's boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Also make sure to look the words up for yourself....
I did... one of the reasons I like it so much :D

Click on the site liked above.... I used to have a Great Pyrenese Pooch named Binky.... Binky was the name of the Polar Bear that chewed up a couple of bozo-brained idjits who decided it would be a good idea to go near/in the polar bear exibit at the zoo :rolleyes:

Choctaw
Miss B Haven
Dive Sled
Sea Gal
SB Diver
Teck Diver
AK Diver
MOD or MODERATOR
Aurora

Went looking for Alaskan Native words, I’m sure you know these are pretty rough translation (and the usage may be wrong):

nupiaq
Nanuk – Polar Bear, good ole' Nanuk of the North.

Inuit
nannuraluk - polar bear
una - this one
kulitak - heavy skin coat
kilallurak - white whale
kesuk - water – sky
atka - guardian spirit

West Greenlandic inuit
anyu - snow used for a specific purpose
alapa - it - s cold!
snowflake – qanik
sea ice – siku

Labradoran Inuit
ice - sikko

Tanaina Athabascan
my friend – shida

Central Yup'ik
hello (good to see you) - cama-i
thank you – quyana

Eskimo
I guess you wouldn’t want anrayortok, is out of breath
angatuyok - is rough, bad boy
kamasukpok - answers well, obeys, takes interest in
maniyok - is easy to reach, (lit.: stays there)
mikiyok - is small, little
nanertak - bear cub
nuki - strength, nerve
pikaluyak – iceberg
pungok, arnaluk – ***** (TOS censors: this is a female dog) Aren’t ships female?
puiyarpok - shows head above water
suli - again, once more

Ah ha! Finally found what I was looking for (wasn’t sure of the spelling.) It’s an upside down, inside out image of my vision of diving in AK. What can I say, I like the unobvious, me and my obscure humor.

From Greenland, a nunatak is a bedrock knob that rises above the surrounding glaciated area.

Forakker base camp on a nunatak was a wonderful respite in the cold and wet (storms) and a little higher ground hearing avalanches. When the sun heated up and the climbers were greenhoused off it was like I imagined Hawaii must be – not been there and inconceivable. LOL The clear blue skies and barren lava fields remind me of home.

Have to say Snowbear, what a great idea you have. I for one put a lot of thought into naming special friends. You’re getting a lot of great ideas, and I’m sure there will be the one that just hits you, fitting right into a groove only you can feel. Ah, what a picture, a man and his boat.

I like bear necessity and polar express, I have to admit. Since they aren't the tops so far, I don't know how much impact these will make, but...

Bear Essential
Bearly working
Bearly having fun (having fun in a bear way)
bearalitious
bearly swimming
bear explorer
da bear <- really like this one but you have to say like chicago fan :)

I've always thought it was kinda nice to have a name for a boat that is rather cryptic. I also find it a pleasure to educate someone in the language of another.

Adds a bit of mystique to the boat . . . and to the lady who owns it.

I totally agree with Kraken,

Given your nick name and the white boat it's a given that you need an inuit word having something to do with snow.

Something like "Kayi" meaning drifting snow, or "Talini" meaning snow angel or "Akitla" which is snow falling on water.

Nice cryptic names with a meaning deeper than what you see on the surface.

R..

P.S. you'll need to verify the authenticity of these words. I got them from the internet from what i suspect may be a dubious source.

Don't know your heritage, how about:
gran oso blanco : great white bear-spanish

or SnowBear is another language:
orso della neve : italian
Schneebär : german
&#964;&#959; &#967;&#953;&#972;&#957;&#953; &#945;&#957;&#964;&#941;&#967;&#949;&#953; : Greek
&#45576; &#44272; : Korean
&#38634;&#12367;&#12414; : Japanese

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom