Contest: Name Snowbear's boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was definitely not an easy choice.... which is one of the readons it took me 2 days to make it!
Kim:
I'm in!

Ursus Maritimus (or Ursa Maritimus)
Sea Bear
Lars
I still really like Ursus Maritimus, but even with practice it's a mouthful to say, especially on the radio.

So I'll use Sea Bear instead..... Kim - pick your prize from the list and PM me your address and I'll mail it today :D

how 'about a play on words?

C Bear

C Bare

or something like that?

In general, it is considered bad etiquette to have a vessel that is the same name as another in the same area, even if it is a play on spelling.

The name used on the radio, which should be an FCC licensed station, should be the same name as the vessel.

This avoids confusion over vessel identity should an emergency occur (with either one).

You could use the russian pronunciation

полярный медведь (Ursus maritimus)

Polyarny miedved

Snowbear:
I've decided to go with Ursus Maritimus. I'll just have to get used to saying it :wink:

I'm honoured to have won! I never won a competition before!! I hope she serves you well and gives you years of enjoyment.
Be safe! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom