Contacts Or Optical Lens Mask???????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551:
3)Others masks including the mares x-vision masks can be bought and the prescription ordered by you or your local eye doctor.

I did this (and the lenses were pretty cheap too!) and I love my X-Visions!

One word mind...Get your LDS to fit them, I was a little too eager and broke a good pair of x-visions on the first go...:shakehead I now have a spare pair mind (abiet glued together!)

I never wear contacts underwater, I like the oppotunity to see underwater, even if my mask gets knocked off..etc..

I would have to go with the corrective lens, and I have. There are too many variables that COULD go wrong with contacts, not to mention pink eye, uhhhg. My vision is relatively constant these days, but I have not changed my lens in 6 years, and in truth even when your vision DOES change, so long as its not drastic, then the lens is still very functional, unless were talking photo hog, then you need the perfect vision. I see everything that my wife does, and the rest of the divers for that matter. Good luck.

I say use your contacts, I asked my docotor before I started to dive and she told me to remove and clean them at night, she also said to but drops in my eyes.

I haven't read thru the whole thread... don't have time right now, but wanted to give you my pick.

I used to have prescription lenses in my mask. The prob with that is that when your prescription changes, you have to change the lenses or everything looks funny.

I say use contacts. I've dove lots (unsure how many exactly!) of dives, salt water and fresh water in my contacts with no problems at all. I have the 30 day night and days... and I don't even take mine out after the dives. (I'm sure that's not the best thing to do! I should take them out and rinse them... but I don't. Please no flaming! :wink:). I've never had any eye infections, and never lost any lenses. At most, I've squirted some eye drops in my eyes a couple times. Most the time, I don't even do that.

I say get the contacts. It's cheaper in the long run and I find it to be worry free.

hey, if your scrip is a -3.5 or -4.5 you may just want to check out a HydroOptix mask. I wear no contacts when I dive and its sooo much more comfy on the face. I'll have to figure it out when I get lasix but thats another story.

I've been wearing contacts as long as I've been diving. I way prefer them to an optical mask and heres why:
(1) contacts will stay on your eye (even if you open your eyes underwater!), if you need to switch masks (which I've only had to do once), you could still see.
(2) contacts will allow you to remove your mask while on the boat or shore without hunting for your glasses.
(3) Opitcal masks are expensive (basically as much or more than a pair of glasses might cost)
(4) You can loan out your non-optical mask to friends, but an opitcal mask is for you only.
(5) contacts give you preiferal(sp) vision, where as opticals give you tunnel vision.

Basically if you like or can tolerate contacts wear them on the dive, it's WAY better.

I have no problems diving with contacts except for occasional eye dryness post-dive. I've never had an infection. I use Acuvue Advance Torics which are 2 week lenses (I usually keep them for 3 weeks+).

Everyone will choose what fits there lifestyle the best and contacts are much simpler than a custom mask for several reasons listed earlier but when it comes to my eyes, I don't like to gamble to much. Lots of people swim/dive with contacts and have no problems but if you happen to be the unlucky one, it can be very serious. For example: Acanthamoeba Keratitis ( http://www.eyemdlink.com/Condition.asp?ConditionID=42 ).

Your call, what are your eyes worth to you?

Back
Top Bottom