Contacting your buddy under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickneipp

New
Reaction score
I have seen many different devices to contact your buddy while underwater diving. Tank Bangers, Air Horns, Electronic Screech Devises, etc.

Does any one know of any device that transmits a radio signal between two personal devices JUST to get the attention of the other person.

I would envision this as a wrist vibrator type unit that you and your buddy would ware that would alert your buddy without alerting everyone else in the area.

Heard of anything like this?????

This is a gear solution to a non-existent problem. With proper buddy diving technique, you shouldn't have to rely on tank bangers, air horns, electronic "screech" devices, or radio signal-linked wrist vibrators. In fact, those devices actually encourage poor buddy diving practice.

I'm sure that this idea has already been patented, but I doubt it would ever become popular commercially.

What Betty said...

But if you insist on finding something: Buddycall - Underwater Signaling Device There is also an ultrasonic device out there but I couldn't find the link.

Bottom line, if you can't see your buddy or he/she can't see you signaling, then you need to find another buddy.

I have seen many different devices to contact your buddy while underwater diving. Tank Bangers, Air Horns, Electronic Screech Devises, etc.

Does any one know of any device that transmits a radio signal between two personal devices JUST to get the attention of the other person.

I would envision this as a wrist vibrator type unit that you and your buddy would ware that would alert your buddy without alerting everyone else in the area.

Yes, they had something at DEMA several years back. It was sort of like a radio beacon and you could also send text messages to the wrist mounted unit.

I can't recall what the name of it was and I don't know if it ever made it to market.

Yes, they had something at DEMA several years back. It was sort of like a radio beacon and you could also send text messages to the wrist mounted unit.

I can't recall what the name of it was and I don't know if it ever made it to market.

I'd like to thank Cave Diver out loud for his response - it was thoughtful and measured, addressed the question without derision, and did not leave (what appears to be) a new diver feeling foolish. Alas, one response in particular was not so gracious...

I have seen a unit that flashes a color coded series of lights based on buddy distress, just need attention, or "hey look at that." I am pretty sure that it has a short range, but sounds like what you are talking about.
I am sorry that I do not know what it was called. I thought that I saw it in a Dive Training Magazine.

If they don't respond to my light then a smack on the head usually works :D
:rofl3:

I usually do that (minus the head smack) and grab his/her fin.

If you want god communication underwater, you could always pick up this book.

You know, honestly, even if you have a good team and good lights, in sunstruck, clear tropical water, it's HARD to get someone's attention. Team awareness is good for keeping team members from getting too far apart, but if you really want to get someone to look at something or change the navigation or something of the sort, it can be hard to distract everyone from what they are doing. You can simply wait until you are the focus of their scan, or you can try shining your light on their hands or the edge of their mask. But it is enough of a problem that I have contemplated those buddy-signalling things you attach to the mask, and in fact, I was going to try them on our recent trip to Maui, and just didn't get around to ordering them.

People who habitually dive in low viz and low light may not actually realize how useless even high wattage HID lights are in the tropics.

My wife is my dive buddy and if I buy her something that vibrates I may never get her out of the room? :rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom