Contacting your buddy under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a big problem in diving. Many of the disasters I read about involve loss of contact with buddy and inability to locate the buddy. It's also a problem that should be fixable with technology. And no matter how good the buddy team there will always be times when one person is distracted by something and the other diver by something else or just continues.

Adam

So you establish and clarify lost-buddy procedures before the dive - look for xx amount of time and then head topside. This goes back to the plan your dive and dive your plan concept. Isn't that what we're all taught in OW?

There's only one thing that separates buddies - and that's inattentive buddies. Even in zero viz I've never lost a buddy. If losing buddies is a repetitive issue for a diver then maybe it's time for that diver to consider a Solo course.

I'd also like to point out that if you dive with a hood - noise makers are somewhat ineffective.

There is the device called a Hammerhead that is made by the dive alert people. It works and I have one because my OW instructor had one. Once I became an instructor under another Instructor Trainer and began to look at many of these accidents that were caused by poor buddy procedures I stopped using it. Because I am one of those who believes that people lose their buddies because they do not use proper buddy protocol.

And that is because they were never really taught it. I begin with proper buddy procedures in pool session one which is the swims, followed by snorkeling and skin diving, then scuba. Students are expected to be in proper position at all times. On checkouts there really is no reason to get separated at any time if the students and instructor have done their respective jobs and follow procedures. If you are constantly losing your buddy it is one or the other's fault. Period. Someone needs to make some adjustments to what they are or are not doing.

I disagree. In our recent class we were able to communicate with 21W HID's in 20'-30' of water in Key Largo in the middle of day with the sun shining. Might not be possible with LED's but it worked out with HID's. We said the samething you are on the first couple days of class. If your situational awareness is high enough you can find and follow the hot spot.

Do you normally dive with the same paranoid level of alertness that you do in a GUE class? Most people I know don't . . . We actually relax and enjoy the dive a bit now and then :)

What Betty said...
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Harry, that wasn't me!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Anyone mention a spear gun yet???

J/K

I run into this issue when I act as a bad buddy and position myself about 6 inches higher then my buddy in the water column. It forces them to look up and slightly back to see me . . . if they start the frantic head turning in search of their lost buddy I have to wave a hand down in front of them or otherwise signal them that I am actually just above them . . . so I know being a better buddy will help.

Not sure if it was mentioned already as I didn't read the entire thread, but I also think each buddy should be in the habit of looking to each other frequently. Never going more then X number of seconds without having taken a look at each other. This will be an issue for some camera and spear folks as they tend to get very focused on the task at hand.

Wow - you are a brave man. I am curious to see how long it is until you get buried under platitudes. Please - let me begin: "There is no such thing as an accident;" "Always plan your dive and dive your plan;" "You need a new buddy..."

:)

I'll bite - I'm not aware of any statistics which state loss of a buddy caused x. If you lose a buddy, you follow whatever lost buddy procedure you agreed on before you got in the water.

I do know a guaranteed way to lose a buddy... Invite a third person along for a dive.

Dwayne

Here is a relatively new product that is hard to find on the web BUDDY-LINK.It's too expensive to find its way into the general consumer's dive market (at least, IMHO), but I'd consider them if they were $50 each. Do a ScubaBoard search on Buddy-Link for more info.

That was the link I was looking for. Not my cup of tea, but maybe yours?

Anyone mention a spear gun yet???
:rofl3:

I'll bite - I'm not aware of any statistics which state loss of a buddy caused x. If you lose a buddy, you follow whatever lost buddy procedure you agreed on before you got in the water.

I do know a guaranteed way to lose a buddy... Invite a third person along for a dive.

Dwayne

Unless I am mistaken, you took my post literally. On the contrary, when I posted:

Wow - you are a brave man. I am curious to see how long it is until you get buried under platitudes. Please - let me begin: "There is no such thing as an accident;" "Always plan your dive and dive your plan;" "You need a new buddy..."

:)

I meant to indicate a general solidarity with the post of Hatul and scare off those who lurk on SB waiting to recite what was drilled into their heads without heed to the fact that sometimes $h!+ h@ppen$.

That was the link I was looking for. Not my cup of tea, but maybe yours?

:rofl3:
Meh. I like the idea of a device through which my buddy and I can communicate without anyone else being bothered by the noise. I don't particularly like the way it sits on the mask, however. My wife and I use H2YO's from Reefnet.ca. They are not good over long distances, but that is not really an issue. We stick fairly close together. I use mine to call my wife to come see something; she uses hers for the same and for telling me to stop dawdling.

What Betty said...

But if you insist on finding something: Buddycall - Underwater Signaling Device There is also an ultrasonic device out there but I couldn't find the link.

Bottom line, if you can't see your buddy or he/she can't see you signaling, then you need to find another buddy.

It's not recommended when wearing a hood, which is when you're most likely to lose your buddy as vis is often poor in cold water.

Adam

It is easy to establish contact with my buddy reach out to (usually) my right (rarely my left) and there he or she is.

Why so easy? Because we are committed to diving that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom