Contacting your buddy under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I would like to thank everyone that gave there two cents worth. All information is GOOD. I am a newbe as Scuba is concerned and that is why I started this thread.

As I started looking at the different BCD's on the market I asked myself and my instructors(DIR Instructors) "Why should I buy this or that unit?" This was to get there input and find the right rig for me. As I have very few dives in my log, I always ask the engineer in my head, "Could that be better?" I get to look with fresh eyes.

That being said, the thread was intended to bring to light a need. I dive with whoever is available as a buddy and don't have the luxury to have the same individual each time. So this vibrator thought came to mind. A secondary function would be to get the attention of another set of buddies to look at something or make a change in the Dive Plan, or to just say "Hey look at that Spotted Ray". I do not like the "Screecher" the "Bangers" or the "Rattles". These disrupt the enjoyment of others, "Take only pictures and leave only footprints" has been instilled in me from an early age.

I do appreciate the input concerning "Buddy Procedures" and it is not my intention to lose my dive partner. I place a huge emphasis on this before entering the water with whomever I dive with. And NO device can take the place of "Dive Awareness". Every thing else we take below the surface is to make Dive Safety more easily attained.

thanks to all.
NickInEden
That's Utah folks.......

Here is a relatively new product that is hard to find on the web BUDDY-LINK.It's too expensive to find its way into the general consumer's dive market (at least, IMHO), but I'd consider them if they were $50 each. Do a ScubaBoard search on Buddy-Link for more info.

I happen to be part of the development team that created the "Buddy-Link" ultrasonic communicator. While we don't have a manufacturers forum yet, I would be happy to answer any questions about the device if you have any.

steve@affinitydevices.com

I happen to be part of the development team that created the "Buddy-Link" ultrasonic communicator. While we don't have a manufacturers forum yet, I would be happy to answer any questions about the device if you have any.

steve@affinitydevices.com

I'd rather have a wrist mount than a mask mount, as wrist mount seems more tried and true and is not as likely to interfere or get dislodged.

Also I'd like to see some user reports and/or independent reviews.

Adam

I'd rather have a wrist mount than a mask mount, as wrist mount seems more tried and true and is not as likely to interfere or get dislodged.

Also I'd like to see some user reports and/or independent reviews.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your interest. We have several people performing reviews on our devices, one of which is in Diver magazine (United Kingdom) and is in the March 2010 issue.

Divernet!

As for interfering and getting dislodged, we offer this. The device is placed in the upper corner of the mask so that the diver can see the LED's and hear the tune played when the diver is signaled.

We also understand the possibility of the device getting dislodged from a fin kick or similar. While our tests show that the added under water pressure to the suction cup has been sufficient to hold the device to the mask, we provide a lanyard that attaches to the mask so the device won't get lost.

I frequentl want to quicly point something out to my buddy that is gone by the time I reach over and tap them on the shoulder. Will test out the Pet Smart idea next weekend. Thanks and I hope it really works!
First, Thanks to Cavediver for his responses,always well thought out and helpful.
OK, Go to "PETSMART" ,a national chain of pet stores and buy their dog training
clicker for $1.49. It is plastic,and stainless steel. It measures 2"X1"X5/8" and is
white plastic with a stainless keychain. It is LOUD and under water where sound travels
5 (?) times faster than on land it is easily heard,even with a hood on. Work out a series
of signals with your buddy and stay away from tank bangers,etc. etc. Cheap, Simple
and every diver around will marvel at your idea.
PORBEAGLE

I frequentl want to quicly point something out to my buddy that is gone by the time I reach over and tap them on the shoulder. Will test out the Pet Smart idea next weekend. Thanks and I hope it really works!

Tried the petsmart clicker thing last weekend and unfortunately it wasn't very loud underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom