Contact cement in wetsuit repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've not had the best sucess with standard neoprene glue from the lds, so I was wondering if anyone had tried using another contact cement like DAP? I read the label on a can I had at home and it says good for wood, foam, rubber, plastic, etc.. plus it's waterproof, pliable and holds well. Anyonoe ever try it on their exposure suit?

Tim

Are you using aquaseal or a wetsuit cement. I've had much better luck with the neoprene contact cement (the black stuff in a can).

it was the black stuff in a can - I applied 3 coats, applied the pocket, rolled it down hard and 2 days later it was peeling off :(

Neoprene cement sticks great to neoprene, and wors very well on neoprene to neoprene seams. But it is not as good sticking neoprene to nylon or lycra over the other piece of neoprene. A bit of careful removal of the outer layer of nylon where the other piece will attach helps a lot.

kidspot:
it was the black stuff in a can - I applied 3 coats, applied the pocket, rolled it down hard and 2 days later it was peeling off :(

That's easy to explain. The black stuff is for neoprene. it does not work well for nylon. What yu have is nylon fabric over the neoprene

For your application (glueing nylon fabric) I think aquaseal would be the stuff to use. But if you go to a marine supply store (like West Marine) you can get a tube of 3M "5200" wich is kind of an "ultra-auaseal" and comes in large tubes if needed and an be found in colors like black.

aquaseal and 5200 are polyurathanes that cure to a solid. Basically the bond happens because the nylon fibers get emeded in the solid. The black stuff is a solvent cement that melts the rubber
but it can't melt nylon.

kidspot:
thanks for the help guys...

Thanks all, I had been wondering about this for some projects I'm thinking of too.

Pete

I'm glad I see this thread after using Neoprene cement to glue on a pocket.

Too be fair though, I used 5 layers. :D

And if you need to remove the pocket after using the black stuff on a neo suit- what do you use?

rjchandler:
And if you need to remove the pocket after using the black stuff on a neo suit- what do you use?

I've read that regular immersion in salt water can work. :28:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom