Is this normal? New wetsuit with 7 dives tearing at the collar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you didn't miss any dives. That does seem like a long time for a warranty replacement, though. I sent back a $100 water filter that failed after 50 liters and the company blamed me and returned it, still basically broken, after a coupla months. (My last purchase from you, Platypus / Cascade Designs). Obviously a warranty replacement isn't going to be as fast as a purchase, but it shouldn't take most of a season, either, especially at Aqualung's profit margins.

I am very happy with my Aqualung SolaFX wetsuit, but it also didn't tear the first few dives! I do grab it right in the center of the integrated hood to pull it up. That area was also the area that Otter Bay Wetsuits used to add some girth to the neck, and it isn't irritating (it's sealed on the inside, to cover the exposed stitching). So if anyone has a similar situation and chooses to repair it, they should be good.
My LDS has been having a ton of trouble with Aqualung product availability. Moving warehouses or something like that. Seems to be easing up now though.

OP, I'm glad you asked for the replacement and got it. Happy diving!

That does seem like a long time for a warranty replacement, though.
I think this has to do with the supply chain backlogs that have become the norm since COVID disruptions started in 2020. You can't buy this suit from the Aqualung website right now, and the shops I have checked with are all on backorder.

It's normal for inferior wetsuits to tear when they have no lining around the edges. In time you'll know what type of wetsuit to buy. Use a freezer bag over your limbs when entering the arms and leg section. I found superglue works for minor tears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom