Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading the majority of the responses here would lead you to believe that there is only one "correct" choice -- a wrist computer. That's a matter of opinion, really.

I currently own a Suunto wrist computer. I like it for many of the reasons already mentioned.
On the other hand, I have a buddy who used an air-integrated console computer (Sherwood Wisdom) for about 700 dives. He routed the HP hose under his left arm and clipped it to a chest D-ring. With a casual glance down, he could view all dive-related info (NDLs, depth, elapsed dive time, remaining gas). He really liked his setup. The rest of our circle of dive buddies convinced him to buy a wrist-mounted computer when his died earlier this year. He still speaks fondly of his old computer. :) It is possible for a diver to own a console-mounted computer and be very happy with it.

Play around with the various computers at your LDS and see which one has the most intuitive interface. Get one that's easy to read, easy to operate, and has a user-replaceable battery. Look for one that's PC-downloadable if it's important to you. A gauge mode can also be nice feature. I'm sure you could find a good quality computer with all of these characteristics in the $200-$300 range.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out Suunto computers due to the more conservative algorithm. I've done a few hundred dives with my Mosquito, and I can honestly say that I haven't found the algorithm to be restrictive. This includes a few vacations with repetitive, multi-day diving. Even if I had a computer with a less conservative algorithm, I'd be doing the same kind of profiles. :idk:

Wow, some really good info. I'm now leaning really strong toward getting the watch style over the console. I've used the console in the past and wondered if there was something better. I've thought about the wrist with the wireless transmitter. In fact, I was looking at the aeris elite wrist with the wireless transmitter, but it's almost $200 extra for just the transmitter. Even if I went with a transmitter I would still get an spg.

The oceanic veo 2.0 is $200 cheaper. The only catch is I would have to look at my spg for my air. I'm just trying to justify the $200 difference with the aeris elite. If I've done my research they are sisters comapnies and very similar dive computers. Does anyone regret not getting a transmitter with the watch style or vice versa?

I had an SPG blow right off the end of the HP hose. Could not be found. That was years ago, but it was a new Aqua Lung item, just like they sell now. If a computer console failed like that, there goes big money, lost. From that experience, I have avoided consoles of any type.

Ask yourself these two simple questions:

Where do you wear your watch? Why?

Apply the same logic to your dive computer.

I wish I applied this concept when i got my original console computer. I have since switched to a wrist and am very happy to have done so.

If you are considering the Veo 2.0, I'd look long and hard at the Geo 2.0. In my opinion it's a better computer and it a dedicated wrist unit (i.e less bulky) vs. a console computer in a wrist boot. Currently, with the Oceanic holiday promotion, it is also cheaper than the Veo 2.0.

Edit - Oh and the Geo will do 2 gas mixes vs. 1 with the Veo

Last edited:
I like my Cobra console. I started off with wrist mount, didn't have a choice. I like having my compass, bottom timer and depth gauge all in one place. I put on my rig and everything is right there, no strapping gauges on my wrists. I have a retractor and a quick flip gives me my info at a glance.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Aladin Tec2G. You can get some very good prices on them (somebody here recently bought one brand new, with warranty, for $277). It recognizes deep stops, is Nitrox capable, and can move with you into more advanced diving, should you ever decide to do that.

I really like my gauges on my wrist. Yes, you can lose or forget them -- but having my depth out on my wrist where I can easily see it made a big difference in mastering my buoyancy control.

I had a triple console and a Uwatec wrist computer. got fed up looking at two places for info SOOOOOOOO I put the wrist computer over the depth gauge on the triple console. Then with one look I had my air, compass and computer.
Now I have a Galileo Luna so no console at all and I love it. I like all my info in one place.
You need to look at whats best for you and the type of diving you persue.

I use a hose mounted, air integrated computer, the Oceanic ProPlus2 (no compass). I really like it. The numbers are large enough to see even at a quick glance. I keep it clipped to my left waist D-ring on a short bungee cord (6"). I also use a Citizen Aqualand watch that gives me time, depth and water temp. For me, it's the perfect setup. This way, I always have a backup as well as a convenient surface interval timer.

I'm fairly new to this game, although I do have some prior expierience from way back, I didn't have my own gear at the time.

I like it when things work for me and in anything I do (mountain biking, climbing, photography, etc.), I try different things until I find what works for me. I am also in the Navy so using back-ups are just part of the way I do things. That's what working for the Department of Redundancy Department does to you! :D

Anyway, I have a Suunto Cobra 2 console with the add-on compass so I have everything in one place. I route the hose under my left arm and through the left BC shoulder strap and then clip it to a retractor on my right shoulder strap D-ring. As stated above, I have everything at my fingertips and the compas is in a good place for me when I navigate although sometimes I unclip it for this. I can also grab it and operate it with either hand.

I also dive with a Suunto D4 watch as well (redundancy right?) when I take off the watch to put my arms in my wetsuit I put it back on upside down so the face is under my wrist. Now, when I grab my console with my left hand, I have both side by side to compare.

Although during the dive, I occasionally just look at the watch, ususally when I know I'm close to my max depth, most of the time I am grabbing the console.

Considering the guys I dive with and my low air consumption, I usually don't even come close to getting low on air during a dive, but I still want to know the numbers as I go and think it builds a good habit. Having the console makes it easy for me to have it all in one place.

As for ruling out Suunto, that is your choice, but don't do it just because of any of the squabbling you've heard here. Dive one, dive with someone who has one or ask someone you trust who dives with one. I spent a good bit of time reading through both my manuals and Suunto's explaination of their RGBM.

From what I read and have expierienced, their 'conservativeness' only kicks in when you do something to warrant it like ascending too fast for too long or blowing through a manditory safety stop, but not for skipping a reccommended safety stop. Do this frequently enough on consecutive dives and you should see a slightly shorter NDL which you earned by putting yourself at a higher risk of DCS due to your actions. Most of their newer models including at least the D4, D9, Cobra 2 and Cobra 3 allow you to mitigate the penalties with a lower RGBM setting if you feel you are more expierienced or have a lower risk of DCS.

I have had no reason to change the RGBM settings on my computers and have had no problems with losing dive time. My buddies run low on air (even with Steel 100s) long before I come close to my NDLs - even on a three dive day.

I'm not saying you should buy a Suunto, just saying don't rule them out because of forum gossip. Decide for yourself. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom