Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Okay, I'm looking to buy a computer, but can't decide past wrist vs console. If I buy wrist I'm going to have to buy an spg as well. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of going with a wrist computer?

Also, I want to buy something not too conservative like Suunto. I was thinking Oceanic or Aeris. Maybe the Oceanic veo 2.0 Anyone know anything about that computer? I really feel lost in a sea of information. I know whatever I buy I will keep for several years, so I want to get it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Wrist. Consoles are evil.

You need to check depth and time almost constantly during a dive. Particularly during ascents. Wrist is much better than console for that purpose.

After your first 20 dives or so, you'll have a pretty good idea of your air consumption and you won't check your SPG that often (I now check mine 5, maybe 6 times during an average dive). Once you decided to ascend, there is little purpose in checking your SPG again. So although the console makes it easier to check everything at the same time, practically you need different information at different times and the console isn't as easy to use during the most critical phase of the dive: the ascent.

So far, I've seen only once convincing reason to go with a console: if you're lobstering or doing another underwater activity where you're shoving your arm into narrow holes, a computer might be a liability.

That said, a lot of people are happy with consoles. Doesn't prevent them to be wrong :D

+1 on the wrist unit. Much more convenient than constantly having to unclip your consol to bring it up to check & you don't want to leave your consol dangling. If I'm hanging out on an ascent line or anchor rope, I just turn the computer to the inside of my wrist to monitor without even having to turn my wrist.

Wrist - I wear one on each wrist. Primary is a Oceanic. Backup is a Suunto. I really love both of them.

Wrist for me. I can't think of any reason to use a console other than for rental gear where they'd want to keep everything as one unit.
-Mitch

Ask yourself these two simple questions:

Where do you wear your watch? Why?

Apply the same logic to your dive computer.

If I buy wrist I'm going to have to buy an spg as well. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of going with a wrist computer?

Is that because of budget, or did you consider the air integrated wrist units with a wireless transmitter, like the Oceanic Worldwide VT3 and Atom 2.0? A VT4 should be out sometime, and an Atom 3.0, so be aware.

Richard.

I went with a wrist and never felt regret. In fact I'm thankful to all that pushed me in that direction. It doesn't need to be pulled off of your reg if you want to dive while its in for service and you will always have it if you decide to travel and rent gear. Its convenient to look at during your dive and gives you most (sometimes all if its air integrated) the information you need. You can plug it into your computer to download dives easier that you could a console unit in my opinion because its one small device not a dripping mess of hoses and regs (that coming from someone who has never tried downloading a console before though). You can take it with you if you go snorkelling or free diving to use as a timer and depth gauge (only available on some models)

I went with the Aeris Manta. It works with my Mac. It has a user changeable battery. It seems to work well for my needs. I can't comment on the 2.0 though, never used it. I'm still new myself.

Ask yourself these two simple questions:

Where do you wear your watch? Why?

Apply the same logic to your dive computer.

In my fob pocket, because I really don't like wearing stuff on my wrist.

Nonetheless, I wrist mount my gauges now.

I prefer a console. I'm already wearing my lucky dive watch--worn on every single dive AND I'M STILL ALIVE--on my wrist and that's enough.

Having said that, I can't stand to see consoles dangling vertically off a horizontal diver in the water. Wrong on so many levels. If you get a console, please keep it clipped properly.

Check out the Atomic Cobalt. It's one sweet console.

Back
Top Bottom