Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How easy is it to sneak one's arm into a crack to grab a lobster while wearing a wrist dive comp or depth gauge?

About as easy as it is to grab a console when you have both hands busy with camera/light/spool/reel/pumpkin/scooter.

And yes, computers which can be mounted both console style and wrist style (Vyper & friends come to mind) are a pretty good choice if you're not sure.

Choose your dive style and configure your gear accordingly.

Couldn't agree more.

Why do some divers feel the need for computer redundancy? More money than sense...IMHO.

I disagree with you as the battery can run down and especially on a dive trip this can cause problems. Sooner or later every diver will upgrade the computer so why not keep the old one as a backup.

Adam

Why do some divers feel the need for computer redundancy? More money than sense...IMHO.

For me, it's a matter of backup as opposed to redundancy.

I'd rather not be on an expensive dive trip, 2,000 miles away, and blow off dives chasing down batteries or a computer rental that I'd have to then familiarize myself with, not to mention lose all the electronic stats for the dives recorded on the rental. Glad it never happened to you. Keep up the good luck.

More money than sense *not* to keep a backup... IMHO...

I wear a watch (Citizen Aqualand) that gives me all I need should my console computer fail. And, I have sense enough to wear it.:wink:

Here's what I like most about it: large, easy-to-read display. My old eyes have a hard time reading tiny text and details on a watch-sized computer without reading glasses.

Too true. I expect that if you graphed age vs. the preference for watch style computers, you would find an inverse relationship. The #1 complaint with computers has been the inability to see the information displayed- particularly for us (ahem) "experienced" divers.

The wrist vs. console question has a lot to do with the diving you do, your diving environment, and personal preference. Artifact hunters, lobster divers, some working divers, and others who end up sticking their arms into holes are going to be very hard on a wrist mount. On the other hand, many photographers or divers whose hands are frequently occupied much prefer a wrist mount. However, unless you are doing a kind of diving that clearly pushes you towards one or the other, you can probably be quite happy with either. Other factors, like the quality or size of the display or multi-gas capability may be more important.

It is possible to mount an console in a way that makes it easy to use, and if in your area you use a compass a lot (often dive in murky water, for instance), it may be easier to use a console when navigating. An integrated console is arguably a simpler solution than a wrist mount, as it is a single piece of gear. Then again, some would see that as a disadvantage, on the "all your eggs in one basket" theory.

When we designed the Cobalt (Atomic) we did a console first, because they are more popular, and in many ways are harder to get ergonomically right. But we're working as hard as we can on a wrist mount, because neither configuration is right for everyone.

Why do some divers have to worry about other divers' spending habits?

it's innate...........just one of those things..:)

Ask yourself these two simple questions:

Where do you wear your watch? Why?

Apply the same logic to your dive computer.
Which wrist do you prefer your computer on?

I like my watch on my left wrist, because I write with my right hand.

But I like my computer on my right wrist, so that I can operate my BC with my left hand. I found this especially useful when I was ascending with someone who was LOA. Holding their BC strap with my right hand, the computer was just about at eye level, so I could read it and keep eye contact with them at the same time. This made it easy to control our ascent rate.

Which wrist do you prefer your computer on?

I like my watch on my left wrist, because I write with my right hand.

But I like my computer on my right wrist, so that I can operate my BC with my left hand. I found this especially useful when I was ascending with someone who was LOA. Holding their BC strap with my right hand, the computer was just about at eye level, so I could read it and keep eye contact with them at the same time. This made it easy to control our ascent rate.

Yes. I keep my Vyper on my right wrist so I can operate the BC inflator with my left hand.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom