Considering Hanging it up...but...what to do after scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was getting bored about ten years ago, but took up u/w photography to combine two passions. It worked.
I have long noted that a lot of veteran divers go that route. I started doing that about a decade ago but quit because I was really bad at it. Maybe I will try again some day.

I have long noted that a lot of veteran divers go that route. I started doing that about a decade ago but quit because I was really bad at it. Maybe I will try again some day.
My passion -- starting in the 8th grade -- was to be a photographer on Life Magazine. I found out (from a university professor of photography whom I consulted prior to college) that although my technique was good, my content was lacking; I did not take pictures anybody wanted to look at twice. Now, MANY years later, I've developed a bit of that skill...maturity helps. The technology has not been difficult for me -- above or below the surface -- but I always remember what that professor told me, everytime I press the shutter button, and I find it challenging and fun.

What to do after scuba? You need a wooden boat, a big one, like a mid 50's 38' Matthews. That will fill the empty time in your life. If you don't like boats, then a early 60's British sports car, perhaps a Lotus 7 or Morgan. Either way, you will have a hobby that fills your time, empties your wallet, and you may learn new skills like oakum caulking or searching for Lucas electrical shorts and balancing SU carbs.

Here you go, you are in a good spot for it:
Expeditionportal.com

Sorry for the financial hit!

And if it makes you feel better, I have to drive over an hour just to dive in a crappy mud hole, 2 hours for a slightly better mud hole, and 4.5 hours for a deep mudhole.

I recommend keeping your stuff for a few years, wait until your kids are more independent and spend more money on gas.

A Safe-Fun family hobby you could enjoy with your kids could be metal detecting, photo-safari, (sneaking as close to wildlife as possible and safe) or join the scouts, ( the good version where they build small bridges and fires and stuff and not my Mom’s boring version who had us singing Koom-By-yah or weaving Frickin’potholders). (Or
my Dad’s version, setting off fireworks in dried cornfields and posing next to Alligator on riverbank for that photo-safari.)
Whatever you choose, you will be making memories!

FANTASTIC replies!! I thank each of you :D

I did u/w photography for about 6 yrs...and LOVED it!! I am just not as bit by it anymore.

While on my break from diving, I've gotten really into photography (even more than before LOL) and exploring abandoned places. It's super fun, like a time machine to the past. I've found houses that have been left behind since 1991 with everything left in them. It's not really a legal activity unless you get permission from the owner...but harmless. This has been a big hobby of mine, along with photography and photo editing, since I was 10. There are also places open to the public, perfectly legal to walk around and photograph. Also safe!
Photography is really fun. Go out and start taking shots of even just your neighborhood...you may get the bug.
I did u/w photography for about 6 yrs...and LOVED it!! I am just not as bit by it anymore....I am a bit more living in the moment than capturing it. Nothing wrong with either one....just where I am at these days.
Motorcycles.
Oh man...you said it...I was soooo into them for about 10yrs. I LOVE working on them...just a function over form simplicity to them...I just do not really ride them...too city riding for me, if I lived in the county, I might have a dozen ha ha
I walk my neighborhood at holidays and take pictures of the house/yard decorations. Then I post them on Flickr for all to look at. Looking forward to Halloween....
I did use to take walks in college...backpack full of snacks, camera in hand...so much fun to get out and see what happens, what you find :D
I drive at least 90 minutes to dive sites. Current favorite one is four hours each way. Requires at least one night in a hotel.
Dang, that is pretty dedicated, bud!
Check out astronomy. So many things you can do within the hobby. Deep space objects, Astro photography, asteroid hunting, planet viewing, etc.
Oooooh, that is intriguing...hmmmm....not sure on this one, how do get into it?
If the gear you have isn't expensive to buy again, then sell.
If you do return to diving, you can pick up used gear and start again.

If your gear is top grade, then store and maintain annually for a year or two.

Then reconsider whether its time to really sell off or not.
My gear is as good as I can get it...the best that I can come up with...the best I can imagine, tho...swapping my MK25s for Mk19s would be interesting to try, my budget is not there at this time, tho...gotta pay for the fam first :D
What to do after scuba? You need a wooden boat, a big one, like a mid 50's 38' Matthews. That will fill the empty time in your life. If you don't like boats, then a early 60's British sports car, perhaps a Lotus 7 or Morgan. Either way, you will have a hobby that fills your time, empties your wallet, and you may learn new skills like oakum caulking or searching for Lucas electrical shorts and balancing SU carbs.
Oooohweeee, a mid-century boat is my dream....sailboat over a power boat tho...just not the funds that can can support it. My dream is to get one, work 100% remote and just sail up and down the west coast...maybe down the western Pacific! Once the kids are grown up :D

Well, at this time...I am still a little unsure of what I will do...but...I will give the fishing kayak a try for a dive. I cannot give up with out at least trying that. I *might* save my regs...and sell the rest. The regs are my heart...custom MK25/S600s...

Again, I sincerely appreciate all that each of you have shared...they are gifts of experiences unique to each of you...that you did not have to share with some internet buffoon...but...you kindly did anyway...and I appreciate it!! :D

I have done over 4,500 dives. Of these, over 500 have been at the one site in Sydney. I never tire of that site, will dive it a number of times every week if I could. I could not imagine giving up diving.

Market research (from scuba industry and sports in general) tells us that the major ‘crossover’ sports continue to be sailing and downhill skiing/snowboarding.

I feel your burnout, diving the PNW & all the ‘heavy metal’ tec stuff, cold water, can’t pee in dry suit, i paralleled that in the Great Lakes. Ugh, enough already.

maybe Warm water pretty fish?
Fewer opportunities to go, more expensive travel, but new rewards.

i went HSA and have really enjoyed splashing in a pool with handicapped divers.

Things that I have enjoyed equally: formula (open wheel) racing, free climbing, solo sky diving, SWAT, mono-skiing, ultralight/sailplane, and sex. At age 70, at least I can still SCUBA dive.
Snow sports? Really? The seasons are getting shorter and more unreliable and the lift tickets are getting more expensive. Only a few are going backcountry and with even that small increase, it really isn’t so back.

Diving is a life long avocation for some and others it is an adventure that once fulfilled is done. I can understand, I used to dive constantly until getting marooned in the middle of the country where it is a long drive or an airplane ride to a dive location. I can see hanging my fins up, well, maybe, probably not, nah, never! The pandemonium that still continues has really taken the fun out of travel too. Yes, I can understand.

What I do not understand quite often is kids these days (back when I was a kid we walked uphill both ways to school and had to grow our own food :wink: ). Offer them SCUBA diving and they are not interested. My neighbor gifted his pre-teen a dirt bike, one I would be proud to own, it just collects dust, want to go hunting, no, rather just play with the iPhone and take selfies and post them.

I guess what I am getting around to is that I appreciate a desire for father and offspring bonding but if all that want to do is play on their iPhones then I think I am going diving, dirt bike riding, hunting, fishing, kayaking and bicycling or something and they can just sit at home on the sofa and take selfies of themselves.

N

I guess what I am getting around to is that I appreciate a desire for father and offspring bonding but if all that want to do is play on their iPhones then I think I am going diving, dirt bike riding, hunting, fishing, kayaking and bicycling or something and they can just sit at home on the sofa and take selfies of themselves.

N
I take the option away from them when it comes to those things. "Were going and doing this" is generally not up for discussion. They can participate or not, but they will be there. If they feel that an attitude is warranted then they can be there and stair at the clouds because I've taken and locked their phones lol.

This was especially true in our trip to Hawaii earlier this year. Hiking, snorkeling, seeing the volcano erupt at night, ATV tour on South Point. Most things they had zero interest in but ended up smiling and laughing. Family memories will last until old age takes them from us. Who knows, they may even have a few selfies of it along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom