Considering Hanging it up...but...what to do after scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snow sports? Really? The seasons are getting shorter and more unreliable and the lift tickets are getting more expensive. Only a few are going backcountry and with even that small increase, it really isn’t so back.
Yes, really. Demographics show the crossover. Why? BOTH are now rich-man’s hobbies.

SCUBA and Downhill Ski are the KINGS of the CARBON FOOTPRINT

Diving used to be the game of the working man, we knew this because of the LDS parking lot in the 1970’s was filled with real working pickup trucks and the like. Now, it’s BMW and Lexus.

In 1968, my first article I wrote for SKIING magazine was headlined, “The $10 Lift Ticket?”. Everything about skiing involves fossil fuel. Same for vacation diving.

When oil prices dictate, we’ll all be snorkeling in the quarry in Ohio or eating granola on skinny skis with braided armpit hair and wearing home sewn Frostline goose down jackets again.

The world is changing.

So, before selling all my gear [a one way street]...I am reaching out to this community to see what was it that you did AFTER giving up scuba that filled you up?
Diveheart.

In 1968, my first article I wrote for SKIING magazine was headlined, “The $10 Lift Ticket?”. Everything about skiing involves fossil fuel. Same for vacation diving.

When oil prices dictate, we’ll all be snorkeling in the quarry in Ohio or eating granola on skinny skis with braided armpit hair and wearing home sewn Frostline goose down jackets again.

The world is changing.
I was a snowboard instructor at our local mountain in 2000/2001 and that was only to get the season pass. For a cheap day it was driving up to Snoqualmie Pass and riding for $20 instead of $45 at Crystal Mountain. Now they're both overcrowded and $60+. Sub par runs with long lift lines and too many idiots plowing or going tree line to tree line without looking uphill, EVER.

Free diving in the sound doesn't seem all that appealing and snorkeling is def not on the horizon.

or eating granola on skinny skis with braided armpit hair and wearing home sewn Frostline goose down jackets again.

Translation please???

Reactions: Doc
We gave up diving locally 30+ years ago (replaced by kayaking) and have done a fair amount of dive travel instead. (I've always had so many hobbies and activities I'm not sure how I had time for local diving back then.) But I haven't been diving since before Covid. Last planned trip (Indo LOB) got cancelled by that, and we haven't wanted to go badly enough since to deal with the hassles. I've realized I haven't really missed it.

We do have a trip planned, but I'm not all that excited about it for lots of reasons. Certainly the Caribbean feels like a lot of been there done that for me, and so many places are just not what they used to be. Lots of places on the other side of the world are more interesting, but the travel is such a PITA. I think I have some desire to do more other sorts of travel, to places not focused on diving, without hauling along gear. I'm not quite ready to give it up, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Damsel isn't. Will be interesting to see how I feel after next trip.

Translation please???
This? “or eating granola on skinny skis with braided armpit hair and wearing home sewn Frostline goose down jackets again.”

This goes back to the 1966-1978 Nordic (cross country) skiing popularity growth amongst younger people. It was an entire cult within a group that disdained conformity, instead adopting the North American lens on the Swedish/Norwegian Nordic style.

They used torches to apply tar to their ski bases and melt wax using a hot metal iron, all carried in their nylon backpacks. Now we have plastic bases and other scientific stuff.

I married a rather accomplished Nordic skier (US Team) and granola was a thing. The braided armpit reference came from some of the aficionados bathing habits: utilizing sweat huts, rolling in the snow, icy rivers, willow branches, all that tribal stuff. The ‘braided armpit’ reference was soon applied generically to female snowboarders. (Don’t shoot me, I’m just the messenger)

17F684F5-1AA4-48F8-BDC0-92608AF7141B.jpeg

Frostline was a mail order company, very hippy commune presentation, selling kits to sew your own goose-down filled coats which they called ‘sweaters’. Very intensive sewing work and you had an otherwise unaffordable outdoor garment.

Hell, we used to see ads for sew-it-yourself wetsuits.

I appreciate your asking for that explanation. Just arcane stuff. For a moment i forgot i was so gd old :wink:

Certainly the Caribbean feels like a lot of been there done that for me, and so many places are just not what they used to be. Lots of places on the other side of the world are more interesting, but the travel is such a PITA. I think I have some desire to do more other sorts of travel, to places not focused on diving, without hauling along gear.
I think this sums things up quite nicely for a lot of people. There are 4 main points in those sentences, and every one of them rings true.

Lots of places on the other side of the world are more interesting, but the travel is such a PITA.
Agreed, and total trip cost also plays in, especially with the current inflation and stock market tanking. I've been researching to learn more about what's involved in some of these far flung trips, and the time commitment gets serious. To go to Raja Ampat, 3 days to get there, at least 2 to get back, and since it's such a travel ordeal plan to stay at least 10 nights...now we're up to a 15-night minimum trip. The cost adds up...especially if you think about booking business or 1st class airfare (the prices scared me off fast). For a couple to go is prohibitively expensive and for a solo traveler it may be a long time to leave spouse and/or kids behind. Researching such a trip is much more involved than one to a mainstream Caribbean destination. People still working may have trouble getting 2 weeks+ time off approved, especially far in advance (as such trips are often planned).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom