Considering a new computer

Which Dive computer would you recommend

• Cressi Console Giotto 3

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Cressi Console Leonardo 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you specifically asked about two different Cressi computers. But, I really need to add my opinion that you really cannot do better than a Shearwater. I learned to dive using a gauge and tables in 1981. I bought my first computer in 1990 and owned several over the years such as Aladins and Dive Rites. As a dive pro, I've had to help people figure out their dive computers for a quarter century. When I became involved with DIR diving, I went back to just a gauge/timer with computer generated tables and ratio deco. Then, I was given a Shearwater for my birthday.

THE SHEARWATER IS A GAME CHANGER!

I have the Perdix (also has an air integrated model) and Petrel 2. Both do Air, Nitrox, Trimix, Rec, Tech, Cave mode. Amazing features including downloadable logs, custom screens, personal displays, two compasses, tissue graph, every detail you want to know, gradient factors, bubble model upgrade, Wow!

Just sent my Perdix back for a bad depth sensor that's covered under warranty. Diving my Petrel 2. Can't say enough for the performance and customer support.

I apologize for not answering the question asked, but the Shearwaters are such amazing computers that anyone thinking of getting a new computer should look into them before buiying something else. They have just released the new Teric. Rec, Tech, Freediving, Air Integrated, & Watch.
As a Perdix owner, i couldn't agree more, BUT...
The choice depends (a lot, in my opinion), on what kind of diving someone is into.
If someone wants to just enjoy easy diving, staying shallow, and not doing anything too extreme (e.g. playing with nitrox, MOD and depth), the Perdix is an over-kill: the dude in question, would probably never use the Perdix potential, so why spending so much (with the price of a Perdix, you can buy almost 4 Giottos) when an "easier" computer would do the job?

Since you seem to be new to diving and dive computers and need to buy one now, I'd advise buying the less expensive of the two. It will suit your needs now, possibly as long as it lasts, and you can make a much more informed decision for your next purchase.

Any dive shop will sell you what they have, and for a new recreational diver any of them will work. When you decide what type of advanced diving you will do, and what algorithm suits your risk management, then you can take the time to find your perfect computer.

Shearwater makes a great computer but I can now make my dives with a $200 computer, it was decades late for the dives that it would have been handy for me. It can also depend on ones budget, as well.

Bob

Rabe wrote,
As a Perdix owner, i couldn't agree more, BUT...
The choice depends (a lot, in my opinion), on what kind of diving someone is into.
If someone wants to just enjoy easy diving, staying shallow, and not doing anything too extreme (e.g. playing with nitrox, MOD and depth), the Perdix is an over-kill: the dude in question, would probably never use the Perdix potential, so why spending so much (with the price of a Perdix, you can buy almost 4 Giottos) when an "easier" computer would do the job?

Because Fireman Tom's (the OP's) profile says he wants to go through the ranks and become an instructor and dive shop owner. Being from Ontario, he has easy access to some of the best wreck diving on earth in his backyard. Rising through the ranks there might call for a Shearwater. :D

Last edited:
Rabe wrote,

Because Fireman Tom's profile says he wants to go through the ranks and become an instructor and dive shop owner. Being from Ontario, he has easy access to some of the best wreck diving on earth in his backyard. Rising through the ranks there might call for a Shearwater. :D
Well, you got me.

BUY a Perdix Fireman Tom!! :D

Cressi RGBM deco algorithm is among the most conservative of all commercially available, take this into consideration prior to your purchase. For some this is not a consideration.

Aqualung i300 + spg + wrist compass.
If my 20yrs old Aladin dies now, it will be replaced by i300. I could not find any reason why I need to buy expensive computer for rec and deco dive.

There is nothing wrong with RGBM as long as you understand its shortcomings eg. no reverse profile, fast ascent, saw tooth profile, short surface interval etc.

My back up computer is Oceanic Veo180 and I have not found any issue with one button.

I know you specifically asked about two different Cressi computers. But, I really need to add my opinion that you really cannot do better than a Shearwater. I learned to dive using a gauge and tables in 1981. I bought my first computer in 1990 and owned several over the years such as Aladins and Dive Rites. As a dive pro, I've had to help people figure out their dive computers for a quarter century. When I became involved with DIR diving, I went back to just a gauge/timer with computer generated tables and ratio deco. Then, I was given a Shearwater for my birthday.

THE SHEARWATER IS A GAME CHANGER!

I have the Perdix (also has an air integrated model) and Petrel 2. Both do Air, Nitrox, Trimix, Rec, Tech, Cave mode. Amazing features including downloadable logs, custom screens, personal displays, two compasses, tissue graph, every detail you want to know, gradient factors, bubble model upgrade, Wow!

Just sent my Perdix back for a bad depth sensor that's covered under warranty. Diving my Petrel 2. Can't say enough for the performance and customer support.

I apologize for not answering the question asked, but the Shearwaters are such amazing computers that anyone thinking of getting a new computer should look into them before buiying something else. They have just released the new Teric. Rec, Tech, Freediving, Air Integrated, & Watch.

I just received the new Teric and it is AWESOME!

Cressi RGBM deco algorithm is among the most conservative of all commercially available, take this into consideration prior to your purchase. For some this is not a consideration.
Super conservative isn't necessary a good thing. Warning of impeding deco obligation where others diving with you still have plenty of bottom time left. Either you will piss off those you dive with or you will start ignoring the warnings on your computer. Neither is a good thing.

I am reading posts and get impression that some people still can not read or do not understand context. OP is asking whether to choose Cressi Giotto or Leonardo console but people are offering Shearwater diving computers. Read first and reply properly, do not stick that Shearwater computer to everyone.

Shearwaters computers are really good, however, they are much more expensive. for example I have Cressi Newton computer which is more that sufficient for ordinary recreational diver. You can use this computer even as dive instructor. Most diving instructors that I met were using Suunto divig computers.

My suggestion to OP would be to choose Giotto as it is a bit more advanced than Leonardo and price difference is not very substantial. Or if he wants to have watch size computer Cressi Newton or Creassi Goa are very good options as well.

Super conservative isn't necessary a good thing. Warning of impeding deco obligation where others diving with you still have plenty of bottom time left. Either you will piss off those you dive with or you will start ignoring the warnings on your computer. Neither is a good thing.
True, but is not that extreme, especially if you set the Safety Factor to 0 as I've suggested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom