Considerations for snorkeling off Garden Key, Dry Tortugas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Videos are a bit sparse so I was curious what it was like beyond the marketing-speak.

I'll be camping on the island (for ham radio :D) so SCUBA is out since I can only carry so much gear lol but I can jump in the water at any time.

SCUBA is out anyway unless you arrange a private boat to get you there. The ferry won't carry it. Doesn't matter anyway, there really isn't any diving close enough to swim to anyway. The marketing hype doesn't really exist, because no one is running snorkeling trips.

All that aside, the corals are extremely fine at the South and North coaling dock. You should run into Nurse Sharks, Goliath Grouper, lionfish, tarpon, and a whole host of tropicals. If you are lucky, you will run into the crocodile (the very lonely crocodile) that lives in the moat, but leaves now and again to go fishing. The coral reef on the North side is spectacular, with staghorn and lots of stony corals, but a bit sparse when it comes to octocorals.

Have fun.

WDA7434

Salt water works great for a ground plane vertical, speargun could help you get a dipole hung up and spools are handy for wire, and you can easily snorkel as deep as the bandwidth of some bands! Have fun mixing hobbies!

Note:spearing is prohibited in the dry tortugas and loading a speargun on land is never a smart idea.

Last edited:
ahhh.. and i thought he was just bringing a small portable ham rig to continue his hobby :p my grandfather used to be big into ham radio while he was alive in San Diego

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom