Snorkelling in Ghana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JanEbr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello! We are planning to visit Ghana for three weeks in December and I find it almost fascinating how little information about the country can be found - and this is even more extreme when it comes to its coast. There are passing remarks in various texts about snorkelling, but there are never any real information or personal experiences. Looking on satellite images, it's clear that most of the coast is constantly being battered by large waves - making most of the beaches more suitable for surfing than anything - and there don't seem to be any obvious reefs nor offshore islands. But there are some sheltered bays in the western part of the coast that could be promising?

We are planning a trip for multiple purposes, so we will already be carrying a variety of stuff with us, on public transport, so we need to take the decision whether to take masks and fins - if anyone has any idea, how the situation looks like, we would be grateful. I think it will be a good trip even without any underwater experience, but I wouldn't like to find out that this is the secret paradise, but I have no gear! We do not need any shops or establishments, just to know whether there are accessible areas with visibility and without large waves ...

We tried only Ezile Bay in Akwidaa. One of the most sheltered places on the coast, yet the visibility was essentially zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom