Considerations around switching to a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if diving with BSAC you should probably just leave everything like it is on your recreational setup. If you prefer the merits of primary donate instead of secondary take, then you can just switch the two hoses and dive with a necklace. They may not be the ideal hose lengths, but it is better than not imho

I have limited real estate (petite female) in that area so I run my light from the shoulder d-ring up toward the shoulder then secure through a loop of bungee.

I'm going to have to play around with it. I have a Halcyon BP/W that I won a month ago that I'm still figuring where stuff goes. Do you put a larger light (1000 lumen one for example) on the shoulder, too?

I'm going to have to play around with it. I have a Halcyon BP/W that I won a month ago that I'm still figuring where stuff goes. Do you put a larger light (1000 lumen one for example) on the shoulder, too?
Day dives I carry a single light. Its similar to the DGX light I linked in your gear thread. I carry it as I posted above. Night dives I carry two lights (unless I am filming video). My backup light is stowed on the shoulder and I use a soft goodman handle for the primary light. All my dive lights (and I have about five) are 600 lumen or less but I am only a warm (>65) water diver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 109
@uncfnp In order to attach the light to the d-ring, you need to add a bolt snap (and remove a wristband). Is it not annoying in practice that the light is just loose in your hand without any strap then? Admittedly that's more relevant for night dives (where you take a Goodman handle anyway).

@uncfnp In order to attach the light to the d-ring, you need to add a bolt snap (and remove a wristband). Is it not annoying in practice that the light is just loose in your hand without any strap then? Admittedly that's more relevant for night dives (where you take a Goodman handle anyway).
I don't like lanyards and I am comfortable just holding the light on the occasions I need one on day dives. And yes, with the goodman it staps in then I use the bolt snap to secure it to an oring on the goodman handle.

Eric though likes lanyards and doesn't use a goodman. This is how he stows his.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 104
Here is the light attached to the goodman. The light barrel is thinner then the goodman was designed for but still works. Also the twist on lights are a little more difficult to use in the gloves then a push button light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 103
A lot of the time, I just pull the light head out of the bungee loop but leave the butt end clipped to my chest D-ring while I'm shining it around.

I didn't think about it but yeah I've done this too. Especially if I am just peeking into a hole or crevasse.

This is for backup lights, you are supposed to have a proper umbilical primary with a goodman handle in your left hand. Only when that dies do you need the backup.

A more useful tip than buying a grands worth of torch, is to have a bungeed compass or dive computer on your wrist. The bolt snap then attaches the torch to the bungee and so your wrist when in use. Now you don't lose it so easily. When not in use it goes on the harness. Really though you will see them dangling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom