Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there is one thing that should be taken away from this thread, it's that people should ignore mac's comments if they're looking for answers. He's an outlier in his ideas and really likes to push them under the guise of "it's a free world, do what you want." He will never admit to understanding that his remarks could potentially be dangerous to a new technical diver. It's great he's had a great dive career and hasn't offed himself doing it yet. But that doesn't make his points relevant or good. This is a repetitive thing you'll see from him from multiple threads
I’m the one saying divers are responsible for themselves and should use and configure their gear for their needs. I’ve never bought into the illusion called ( technical) diving. It’s BS. It was made up by manufacturers, agencies, dive stores to regulate diving, make money and fleece people, this tread is a perfect example of it. 7000 dollars for gear was quoted that I could get used for 850 euro. It isn’t the new divers fault that there been robbed, it’s the conmen pushing the whole technical diving crap.

It might not be constructive at all but at the very least those of us that try not to take the internet too seriously find it comical.
Personally I never reply to him, it's just slightly frustrating to watch him (and a few others) completely derail one thread after another in which people were hoping to find some useful or helpful advice. I don't find it comical, I find it destructive. If this had been one of the forums I've moderated in the past, he would've been banned from the DIR and Technical subforums a long time ago.
Deliberate trolling should, in my opinion, not be tolerated to the extent that it is here.

I’ve never bought into the illusion called ( technical) diving. It’s BS. It was made up by manufacturers, agencies, dive stores to regulate diving, make money and fleece people, this tread is a perfect example of it. 7000 dollars for gear was quoted that I could get used for 850 euro.
These statements right here do a great job of showing your kookery. It's all fake news in your eyes it seems. Any other conspiracy theories you can enlight us on? Do the illuminati live under water?
For what it's worth, I have no disdain for you personally and I agree you should be able to dive how you want to dive. What I have an issue with is you always push this nutty stuff that pretty much no one agrees is the safest or anywhere near the norm and you are pushing it to people that probably don't know that.

These statements right here do a great job of showing your kookery. It's all fake news in your eyes it seems. Any other conspiracy theories you can enlight us on? Do the illuminati live under water?
For what it's worth, I have no disdain for you personally and I agree you should be able to dive how you want to dive. What I have an issue with is you always push this nutty stuff that pretty much no one agrees is the safest or anywhere near the norm and you are pushing it to people that probably don't know that.
There’s always more than one way to dive that’s what I’m saying. When you hear people say you have to use Din get worried. There selling something.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts containing name-calling and other personal attacks will be deleted, and repeat offenders will be banned from the thread. If you disagree with someone's statement, direct your reply at the statement, not at the character of the person making it.

Sealed diaphragm, swivel turret with 5th port like everyone said.... really can't go wrong.

Hog or DR will be less expensive up front, but Deep 6 signatures include the 1st rebuild kit with each reg, AND the 1st rebuild is on them when you're ready (have to pay shipping one way). In that sense it's either a little less or just about even with the others. Deep 6 also will give you free rebuild kits every 2 years / stage if you take their rebuild class. No one else does that (that I'm aware of).

There's plenty of regs that make sense if you never want to rebuild anything... there's only that makes sense if you think you eventually will. I took the Deep 6 class @ 25 dives in and I love my regs.

Out of all the manf listed in this thread you can really only call 1 direct.... I'll let you guess which one!

Is there an echo in here? I feel like we just had this thread, lol:) It's all good.. I know the threads get lost...
Hog is also a knock off of the XTX50 and it's more difficult getting service for HOG compared to the APEKS due to origin of the parts. An APEKS/Aqualung tech is much easier to find than a HOG tech.

Hog is also a knock off of the XTX50 and it's more difficult getting service for HOG compared to the APEKS due to origin of the parts. An APEKS/Aqualung tech is much easier to find than a HOG tech.
Honestly there's enough certified people here on SB you could send any reg to for service and never have to leave your house. They're not rocket science though.

I want to say that Deep 6 parts are the least expensive of all of them, but since I took the class and don't pay for parts I really don't know:)

At one time that may have been true. But not for several years. I've certified over 50 HOG techs. Divers and shop techs. I wrote the Deep Six service manual.
I also service the regs literally from around the world. I have military customers in guam, Okinawa, and even received a reg from a guy in Afghanistan. My US customers for service are from all over the country and usual turn around, if I know the reg is coming, is 72 hours.
Any diver can buy parts for hog and edge regs and take the class to service them. For a tech diver who is serious about it, they are going to have 3-6 regs minimum. Being able to service them yourself makes much more sense than relying on a tech who may take weeks to get one done and charge an arm and a leg.
It also allows you to service them on your schedule when they need it.
Deep Six and HOG will also support a qualified shop tech willing to service a reg in a location where an official tech may not be available.
As far as the origin of the parts, most come out of the same few factories and the parts for HOG and Deep Six are a helluva lot easier to obtain by the user.
A dealer or rep for them doesn't have to worry about losing their dealership for providing parts to the individual.

There’s always more than one way to dive that’s what I’m saying. When you hear people say you have to use Din get worried. There selling something.
Should the G.U.E sorority choose to exclude a technical diver’s opinion, founded on decades of experience and observation, then that is their dilemma. Over the years many recreational and technical dive enthusiasts have been hoodwinked into acquiring inferior equipment and inadequate training without ever asking: why is it so? I am neither disheartened nor dissuaded by the crude responses I have read thus far on these forums. The majority of inexperienced divers are easily aroused and swayed by marketing hype. What I term the ‘kitchen police’. The essence to public debate is to examine both perspectives. I have witnessed only one DIN O-ring failure on YouTube. However, I have seen and experienced a few O-ring failures while using Yoke valves—more so when hiring tanks. Of my own volition I have chosen to pursue the TDI doctrine for its abstract simplicity—what works for me may not work for others. I also adapt my configuration to the environment when diving with experienced wreck divers. Otherwise, I or they may refuse to guide or buddy up to a diver with less experience. Dive safety is paramount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom