Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should the G.U.E sorority choose to exclude a technical diver’s opinion, founded on decades of experience and observation, then that is their dilemma. Over the years many recreational and technical dive enthusiasts have been hoodwinked into acquiring inferior equipment and inadequate training without ever asking: why is it so? I am neither disheartened nor dissuaded by the crude responses I have read thus far on these forums. The majority of inexperienced divers are easily aroused and swayed by marketing hype. What I term the ‘kitchen police’. The essence to public debate is to examine both perspectives. I have witnessed only one DIN O-ring failure on YouTube. However, I have seen and experienced a few O-ring failures while using Yoke valves—more so when hiring tanks. Of my own volition I have chosen to pursue the TDI doctrine for its abstract simplicity—what works for me may not work for others. I also adapt my configuration to the environment when diving with experienced wreck divers. Otherwise, I or they may refuse to guide or buddy up to a diver with less experience. Dive safety is paramount.
The reasons for o ring failure in my opinion is, a poorly seated yoke first( o ring extrusion) the wrong size o ring to big (o ring extrusion) a worn o ring (leaking) without exception every o ring failure that I’ve personally seen has been on the surface when the tank is opened under full pressure and always down to user error. What a DIN fitting does when used on low pressure tanks is compensate to a certain extent for this. It’s just another dumbing down of diver skills. What agencies and manufacturers are really saying is use DIN you’d have to be a real dumb ass to mess this up.

As you said in your earlier post, sometimes it's regulated by the EU.

As you said in your earlier post, sometimes it's regulated by the EU.
You’re absolutely right, someone in their wisdom decided you had to have a special M26 valve for oxygen greater than 22%. Total rip off. Sell more gear.

Got my TDI Adv. Nitrox / DP certs in December. Haven't done any tech dives since as I'm still in the process of acquiring a set of tech gear and losing all my money. Perdix and BP/W are on the way and now I'm looking at regulators for a manifolded twinset.

Not to be too broad . . . but are there any particular considerations I should take when looking at which model to buy? I'm aware certain brands will be more / less convenient to service, gotta get cold water regs, etc., so I'm referring to factors specific to doubles. For instance I trained on Tek 3's, which seemed fine to me then some other diver told me how much he hates the routing on those and I should just got a pair of DST's, etc.

I know certain things are obviously preference but if there's anything in particular I should be considerate of, I'd love to know.
Did you by chance train with James? I think I met you on the boat from Pompano. You probably don't remember me, but Max from Boston is stuck in my head, although you're saying you dived twin AL80's and I seem to recall dual HP100's with Tek3's. That's what I dive as well.

Anyway, sorry for the random message... just talking to myself over here :wink:

Your just believing what you’re been told. I find the yoke knob handy to move the bungee to when side mount. It’s almost impossible to dislodge a yoke reg under pressure and the o ring is sitting in the same groove as a din, the only difference is all those treads you have to wind on with din. A complete nuisance for low pressure tanks not to mention non din tanks or seized inserts.

Do you seriously have over 5k dives? My very first open water training dives, a guy jumped in the water and after maybe 30-seconds we heard a huge explosion next to the boat. His yoke seal blew out and gas spewing out, looked insane. Could have been operator error... didn't tighten it down enough? Who knows. Thankfully he was just floating on the surface at this point.

I can't tell you how many people I've helped with leaky yoke O-rings. I've seen a rental tank without an O-ring at all once. Oops! Just last week I went on a dive and a lady was leaking air from her yoke (not a lot, small bubbles).

There's no way you're serious about yoke, in the technical diving sections and you have 5k dives or even 10% of that.

Do you seriously have over 5k dives? My very first open water training dives, a guy jumped in the water and after maybe 30-seconds we heard a huge explosion next to the boat. His yoke seal blew out and gas spewing out, looked insane. Could have been operator error... didn't tighten it down enough? Who knows. Thankfully he was just floating on the surface at this point.

I can't tell you how many people I've helped with leaky yoke O-rings. I've seen a rental tank without an O-ring at all once. Oops! Just last week I went on a dive and a lady was leaking air from her yoke (not a lot, small bubbles).

There's no way you're serious about yoke, in the technical diving sections and you have 5k dives or even 10% of that.
Look if you have a problem using a yoke valve or you can't put it on properly then use a din, I've never had a problem using ether.

Did you by chance train with James? I think I met you on the boat from Pompano. You probably don't remember me, but Max from Boston is stuck in my head, although you're saying you dived twin AL80's and I seem to recall dual HP100's with Tek3's. That's what I dive as well.

Anyway, sorry for the random message... just talking to myself over here :wink:

That was definitely me. Tek 3's and two AL 80's if I recall correctly. It's a small scuba world.

Look if you have a problem using a yoke valve or you can't put it on properly then use a din, I've never had a problem using ether.
May I ask what brings you to the Technical Diving section? What type of technical dives do you do with those yoke valves?

That was definitely me. Tek 3's and two AL 80's if I recall correctly. It's a small scuba world.

Yup, small world indeed. I asked James what he was diving and he said HP100's. This stuck in my mind because at that time I was unsure whether I should go with LP85's or HP100's. Maybe you had something else?

Anyway, did you end up deciding on the kit you're going to buy? I'm a big believer in buying once crying once, but that's only possible if you know exactly what you want (which is tough when starting out). Unfortunately, paying more you don't always get more, either.

The Apeks Tec3's come with ATX50 second stages. At some point I'm going to run one Tec3 and one HOG D3 w/Zenith (or just Tec3 w/Zenith) second stage from my rec setup. Very curious how they compare side-by-side in the water. I've noticed some differences, but I don't want to mislead before doing testing and confirming. Will let you know when I do, in case it helps.

May I ask what brings you to the Technical Diving section? What type of technical dives do you do with those yoke valves?

Yup, small world indeed. I asked James what he was diving and he said HP100's. This stuck in my mind because at that time I was unsure whether I should go with LP85's or HP100's. Maybe you had something else?

Anyway, did you end up deciding on the kit you're going to buy? I'm a big believer in buying once crying once, but that's only possible if you know exactly what you want (which is tough when starting out). Unfortunately, paying more you don't always get more, either.

The Apeks Tec3's come with ATX50 second stages. At some point I'm going to run one Tec3 and one HOG D3 w/Zenith (or just Tec3 w/Zenith) second stage from my rec setup. Very curious how they compare side-by-side in the water. I've noticed some differences, but I don't want to mislead before doing testing and confirming. Will let you know when I do, in case it helps.
James indeed had HP 100's while I was on AL 80's.

Ultimately I went with a set of Tek 3's + XTX50's. Got a used set on SB for $700, looked in pretty solid shape and even after getting 'em all serviced it's a pretty good deal to me.

My recreational setup is Apeks and I like the XTX50 second stage, so ultimately I feel pretty good about the purchase. Excited to get in the water.

Pretty much the last piece of kit I need at this point is the twinset itself. Checking out a pair this weekend for $600, fingers crossed.

I was making long deep deco wreck dives for work and sport long before someone wrote an article in a magazine and invented " technical diving" it's all sport diving for me. I use the gear that suits me for my hobby. Breaking sport diving into various sections was a money making exercise. I make the same dives today as I did 50 years ago ( a bit shorter and less strenuous) never had a reason to change the name from sport diving. Its your hobby if you wish to call it technical diving that's fine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom