Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my TDI Adv. Nitrox / DP certs in December. Haven't done any tech dives since as I'm still in the process of acquiring a set of tech gear and losing all my money. Perdix and BP/W are on the way and now I'm looking at regulators for a manifolded twinset.

Not to be too broad . . . but are there any particular considerations I should take when looking at which model to buy? I'm aware certain brands will be more / less convenient to service, gotta get cold water regs, etc., so I'm referring to factors specific to doubles. For instance I trained on Tek 3's, which seemed fine to me then some other diver told me how much he hates the routing on those and I should just got a pair of DST's, etc.

I know certain things are obviously preference but if there's anything in particular I should be considerate of, I'd love to know.

Modern regs are pretty much all good breathers. In that sense, most any brand will do you just fine. For doubles, it's really helpful to have a bottom port. That improves the hose routing.

I've used most brands at one point or another. I'm using Deep6 now and I'm a big fan. They are great breathers. The company also treats you like an adult and will provide a class to train you how to service them. When you start tech diving and accumulating a bunch of regs, this can actually save a lot of money. Oh yeah, they're also cheaper than ScubaBro and Aquafung.

What's your budget? What do you want to spend? Do you want to service them yourself?
I dive HOG's because they won't break the bank, are a proven design, and you can buy the kits and learn to service them yourself.
Deep Six is also an option but for manifolded doubles, HOG D1s and Classic seconds. Hands down. I dived them for years before switching to D3s when I broke all my doubles down and went sidemount.
I say D1s because you don't need the turret to rotate 360 degrees with hose for backmount doubles.

If you think you might try sidemount down the road, regs with turrets would be useful. (Turret and 5th/bottom port are not synonymous.) DIN connectors, of course.

Even for doubles, a turret+5th port on the right post (long hose) will prevent kinking during an air share.

Even for doubles, a turret+5th port on the right post (long hose) will prevent kinking during an air share.
Hose routing will be nicer all around, so a must- have in my book. I’d look at Deep 6 and Hog.

What's your budget? What do you want to spend? Do you want to service them yourself?
I dive HOG's because they won't break the bank, are a proven design, and you can buy the kits and learn to service them yourself.
Deep Six is also an option but for manifolded doubles, HOG D1s and Classic seconds. Hands down. I dived them for years before switching to D3s when I broke all my doubles down and went sidemount.
I say D1s because you don't need the turret to rotate 360 degrees with hose for backmount doubles.
Budget - I'm hoping to get a set of regs I can rely on for many years to come, so while I definitely appreciate affordability, I'm trying not to let a couple hundred difference be the primary factor in my choice of regulators. Looks like $850 - $1,300 is the rough range for a lot of doubles sets, and I can make anything in that area work if needed.

Service - I think it'd be cool to learn to service them myself, but not make or break for me. But seems like a nice bonus.

The ability to configure the same regs for sidemount would be cool also since cave training is in my future, and it'd be great not to have to buy a completely new set for that purpose.

Service - I think it'd be cool to learn to service them myself, but not make or break for me. But seems like a nice bonus.
Yes, it is a nice option. If you decide you don't want to service them yourself, you can send them to Deep6. Alternatively, any reg tech who is competent with diaphragm regs can do it. Deep6 even provides the service kits when you buy their signature regs.

The ability to configure the same regs for sidemount would be cool also since cave training is in my future, and it'd be great not to have to buy a completely new set for that purpose.

I have a pair of Apeks XTX50/DST I’ve used for both doubles and SM. Get something with a fifth port and rotating turret. Dive Rite is another affordable option to add to Deep6 and Hog. Have DR for a backup set. Can’t tell the difference with my Apeks. I prefer to stick with a company that’s been around for a while, but that’s just me.

Sealed diaphragm, swivel turret with 5th port like everyone said.... really can't go wrong.

Hog or DR will be less expensive up front, but Deep 6 signatures include the 1st rebuild kit with each reg, AND the 1st rebuild is on them when you're ready (have to pay shipping one way). In that sense it's either a little less or just about even with the others. Deep 6 also will give you free rebuild kits every 2 years / stage if you take their rebuild class. No one else does that (that I'm aware of).

There's plenty of regs that make sense if you never want to rebuild anything... there's only that makes sense if you think you eventually will. I took the Deep 6 class @ 25 dives in and I love my regs.

Out of all the manf listed in this thread you can really only call 1 direct.... I'll let you guess which one!

Is there an echo in here? I feel like we just had this thread, lol:) It's all good.. I know the threads get lost...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom