Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If i was the op id search around for some used gear to suit my diving, yoke or din wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me unless i planned on using 300bar tanks. plenty used gear for a fraction of the cost of new.

So you think the items in my post are not of consequence and need not be considered for making the decision between yoke and din?

Except you’re among the only people on the planet using yoke for “technical” diving…
That’s a lot of people, do you know them all by their first name also.

So you think the items in my post are not of consequence and need not be considered for making the decision between yoke and din?
Like you said the choice is up to each person, it’s your hobby, your safety, at the end of the day you have to make your own choice.

That’s a lot of people, do you know them all by their first name also.
I can’t name another, but it’s one of those black swan things, and you yourself espouse such nincompoopery in selecting designs prone to line entrapment and non captured o-rings.

Except you’re among the only people on the planet using yoke for “technical” diving…
I almost did once. Looking to rent a bail out tank and all they had were yoke fittings for the cattle drive, Almost had to break out the yoke to DIN convertor. But I spotted the coveted DIN stashed around the corner and got that one.

One thing you will never find on a rebreather, a yoke connection. Maybe one of the early home builds from decades ago, but nothing in the modern era. Modern = cell phones are digital, not analog.

I can’t name another, but it’s one of those black swan things, and you yourself espouse such nincompoopery in selecting designs prone to line entrapment and non captured o-rings.
If dealing with a bit of line around a yoke knob or recognising a poor o ring is something that worries a diver they really should consider changing to another hobby.

Like you said the choice is up to each person, it’s your hobby, your safety, at the end of the day you have to make your own choice.

If I am not mistaken, you have boiled this down to say, its up to the diver to choose for himself. And you have also said that for your diving, yoke works just as well, if not better than din.

But, you see, the guy came here asking for advice. Usually, that is because they do not have enough information/knowledge to decide for themselves. So far as I can tell, you have not given any information as to what different considerations to take into account to decide between yoke and din regs. Just that it is up to him.

Others, such as myself, are offering definite points to consider. For example, if you want to do tech dives outside your home area and therefore might need to borrow tanks from other tech divers. Or if you go to cave country and need to rent tanks. Or that fitting a din reg onto yoke tanks is trivial with an adapter whereas fitting a yoke reg to a din valve is not.

Do you think the above are valid or not? Also, are there other considerations you have in mind which make yoke regs more appealing? If so, what are they? Or are you saying that yoke regs are just as good because that is what you use?

If I am not mistaken, you have boiled this down to say, its up to the diver to choose for himself. And you have also said that for your diving, yoke works just as well, if not better than din.

But, you see, the guy came here asking for advice. Usually, that is because they do not have enough information/knowledge to decide for themselves. So far as I can tell, you have not given any information as to what different considerations to take into account to decide between yoke and din regs. Just that it is up to him.

Others, such as myself, are offering definite points to consider. For example, if you want to do tech dives outside your home area and therefore might need to borrow tanks from other tech divers. Or if you go to cave country and need to rent tanks. Or that fitting a din reg onto yoke tanks is trivial with an adapter whereas fitting a yoke reg to a din valve is not.

Do you think the above are valid or not? Also, are there other considerations you have in mind which make yoke regs more appealing? If so, what are they? Or are you saying that yoke regs are just as good because that is what you use?
It’s up to each diver to choose what’s best for their diving, none of the points you’ve made are valid for me, I own and maintain all my own gear, I configure my gear to suit my needs and I have the final word on how I conduct my diving no one else. I am solely responsible for my safety and comfort. I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about using yoke or din regulators for my diving. If others are not comfortable about using yoke then don’t use them.

It’s up to each diver to choose what’s best for their diving, none of the points you’ve made are valid for me, I own and maintain all my own gear, I configure my gear to suit my needs and I have the final word on how I conduct my diving no one else. I am solely responsible for my safety and comfort. I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about using yoke or din regulators for my diving. If others are not comfortable about using yoke then don’t use them.

Well, it is not important whether these points are valid to you and your diving, is it? It only matters whether these points are valid considerations for someone who is looking to transition to tech / cave diving. A person such as the one who started the thread.

It might behoove you to reconsider the difference between offering someone advice that would work for their situation vs trying to defend the way you do it.

Well, it is not important whether these points are valid to you and your diving, is it? It only matters whether these points are valid considerations for someone who is looking to transition to tech / cave diving. A person such as the one who started the thread.

It might behoove you to reconsider the difference between offering someone advice that would work for their situation vs trying to defend the way you do it.
You’ll have to ask the OP if the points you made are valid for his diving, only he can answer that. I certainly can’t.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom