Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Objectively, for reasons stated by AJ and others, DIN is superior to Yoke regardless of the service pressure of the scuba tank. Is Yoke good enough for most recreational diving? Sure, I could concede that, you don't see massive amounts of deaths due to yoke regulator failures (though you do frequently see failed and leaking orings). However, is it the best option? That's an emphatic no. It's definitely not appropriate for technical diving.
Change the o ring. Do you think so called technical diving was invented with the arrival of din first stages

My degree is in mechanical engineering and I’m a machinist by trade; but your right, I don’t know anything about threads 🙄
So as an engineer do you believe that a din reg would be usable if it got the blow that would be needed to dislodge a yoke reg under pressure. And if you do can you quote the test that have been done.

I know certain things are obviously preference but if there's anything in particular I should be considerate of, I'd love to know.

I agree with those posts above that emphasized reliable, robust regulators that you, yourself, can service. What's that mantra ... let's see ... oh, yeah: "Three is two, and two is none!" You would hate to miss that grail dive that the weather is finally permitting to "go", simply because one of your doubles regs went wonky. Switch in the spare, and commence diving! (Service/repair the wonky one after the day's dives are done.)

rx7diver

So as an engineer do you believe that a din reg would be usable if it got the blow that would be needed to dislodge a yoke reg under pressure. And if you do can you quote the test that have been done.
send me your reg, I'll get right on that for you.

troll

The worry is that a relatively new diver is going to across some of your posts (and you having survived your high number of listed dives), and think that anything you postulate reflects the past thirty years of tech diving development, and not instead the downsides of one person having taken too many deep air breaths to the head.

You just made all that up in your head to justify your opinion. The only reason for the popularity of din first stages is regulation by manufacturers and agencies. And the only thing that does is limit personal choice for the diver. There’s always an agenda when a sales men says this is better than that.

You just made all that up in your head to justify your opinion. The only reason for the popularity of din first stages is regulation by manufacturers and agencies. And the only thing that does is limit personal choice for the diver. There’s always an agenda when a sales men says this is better than that.
Sounds like the person who says the government is holding back on the 100MPG carburetor.

Its a conspiracy theory to make you buy something different because all the old technology was too good and people didn't have to replace it. Or maybe better stuff came along and you just failed to catch up with the times.

Sounds like the person who says the government is holding back on the 100MPG carburetor.

Its a conspiracy theory to make you buy something different because all the old technology was too good and people didn't have to replace it. Or maybe better stuff came along and you just failed to catch up with the times.
It’s not about catching up with the times, it’s about getting stuck in the illusion that only one way works. If din suits use it, If yoke suits use that. It’s up to individual divers to choose what’s right for them and configure their gear to suit. It’s their hobby, their safety and it must be their way. On a side note the idea that changes are made to diving gear to make it better is very innocent, it’s more than likely to make more money. The best of the manufacturers are guilty of it. When scubapro changed the all metal second to plastic it definitely wasn’t to make it better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom