conshelf regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I set IP at about 130 on a full tank......5psi more if on low tank.
Yes, 1st two numbers, if followed by space, is the year......the 81 would be a 14.

Thanks! The 12 & 14 second stages are almost exactly the same. Can the same be said of the 12 & 14 first stages?

The 1st stages are either identical or very similar.
Early 12's only had 2LP ports and yoke was held on with a nut.....later 12's had 3 LP ports and a circlip for the yoke, identical to the 14.

The 1st stages are either identical or very similar.
Early 12's only had 2LP ports and yoke was held on with a nut.....later 12's had 3 LP ports and a circlip for the yoke, identical to the 14.

Thanks again! I could only find a breakdown of the 14 first stage so I can use that as a guide for the 12 first. Mine is an early 12 first stage. Where are you getting replacement parts, O rings and seats?

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 08:00 PM ----------

You can still get a Conshelf XIV brand new from here:

Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV Regulator

And while you're at it get one of these:
Aqua Lung Master Blade Knife 4226-00

Thanks but I do not need a new one, I just picked up these two regs and four tanks for $100. I also already have a scubapro knife very much like that, I use it more as a hammer and pry bar when I am working but it is razor sharp.

You can get all the parts for a Conshelf at VintageDoubleHose.com.

You can also down load the service manual there. The diagrams and service manual for the 12 and the 14 are exactly the same. The parts are all the same.

As a matter of fact, when you are shopping at VDH, also check for the parts for the Royal Aqua Master. They are also the exactly same parts, but Bryan may have more individual parts shown under the double hose two stage RAM than under the single hose section. They are the same parts just sold as kits or individually, your choice.

Remove the round end cap and see what you think of the thick black diaphragm.....it'll have impressions from the pin and spring transfer heads. Is it still flexible?
Check the large plastic washer.
Get some silicone grease on the threads of the spring IP adjustment screw.

Next comes the difficult bit......remove the yoke nut, it's been on there for decades and will be a pain......if it's really seized, don't worry, as it really doesn't have to be removed to do the next step......(your 14 won't be a problem as the yoke is held on with a circlip).

Take out the guts under the sintered filter and get some christoube or silicone on the shaft of the seat and work it into the balance chamber, reassemble and probably find it's working fine and no parts are needed.

2nd stages with silicone diaphragms almost never need any parts, even the seat.......I'd just take it apart, clean and lube the orifice nut and clamp screw. I wouldn't even flip the seat.

Parts need for a full overhaul:
First Stage.......new style grey thin diaphragm, large white plastic washer, sintered filter and circlip, balance chamber o ring and HP seat. (don't remove the white packing washer under the o ring in the balance chamber)

Second stage......LP seat, orifice nut static o ring.
Plus o rings for each end of the hoses.

Vintage Double Hose or eBay.

You can get all the parts for a Conshelf at VintageDoubleHose.com.

You can also down load the service manual there. The diagrams and service manual for the 12 and the 14 are exactly the same. The parts are all the same.

As a matter of fact, when you are shopping at VDH, also check for the parts for the Royal Aqua Master. They are also the exactly same parts, but Bryan may have more individual parts shown under the double hose two stage RAM than under the single hose section. They are the same parts just sold as kits or individually, your choice.

Thanks, I found a service manual for the 14s. I also noticed that on the schematic for the 14 second stage there is a plug opposite from the air intake side. This looks like a port to make this an adjustable reg very much like the reg on my KMB-8 band mask. The KMB-8 I have was made by US Divers after they bought Kirby Morgan. Would you know if the 14 was incorporated into the later model KMB-8s?

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 10:18 PM ----------

Remove the round end cap and see what you think of the thick black diaphragm.....it'll have impressions from the pin and spring transfer heads. Is it still flexible?
Check the large plastic washer.
Get some silicone grease on the threads of the spring IP adjustment screw.

Next comes the difficult bit......remove the yoke nut, it's been on there for decades and will be a pain......if it's really seized, don't worry, as it really doesn't have to be removed to do the next step......(your 14 won't be a problem as the yoke is held on with a circlip).

Take out the guts under the sintered filter and get some christoube or silicone on the shaft of the seat and work it into the balance chamber, reassemble and probably find it's working fine and no parts are needed.

2nd stages with silicone diaphragms almost never need any parts, even the seat.......I'd just take it apart, clean and lube the orifice nut and clamp screw. I wouldn't even flip the seat.

Parts need for a full overhaul:
First Stage.......new style grey thin diaphragm, large white plastic washer, sintered filter and circlip, balance chamber o ring and HP seat. (don't remove the white packing washer under the o ring in the balance chamber)

Second stage......LP seat, orifice nut static o ring.
Plus o rings for each end of the hoses.

Vintage Double Hose or eBay.

I only got to take apart the second stages today and as far as I can see the only thing that needs to be replaced are the O rings on the inlet fittings. The seats look good on the used side and the other sides have never been used so I should not have to replace either of them. I will be using your information to work on the 12 first stage, thanks for that. The first stage that came with the 14 second stage was an Aquarius not a 14 first stage but I do have a schematic for that as well.

The KM Super Flow reg is a Conshelf with an adjustment knob.........unfortunately the Conshelf cannot be converted to an adjustable, that port plug is there to make tuning easier and won't accommodate the plunger, spring and knob of the KM.
There was a US Divers badged Super Flow adjustable 2nd stage marketed for a very short time called a Gulf......but this was the plastic version.

btw your 2nd stages won't have that port plug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom