Conservative computers, but features like the liberal computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

Been shopping for my first dive computer. I sure like the features and layout/looks etc of the Sherwood Wisdom, Oceanics, and Aeris brands .... BUT, I want something to be more on the conservative side.

From what I read, there aren't many choices for conservative computers. Uwatec is listed many times, but I'm not to crazy with it's layout and their what seems to be "annual emergency safety recall from the factory". Mares, Cressi Sub, and Dacor also seem to be conservative, but I'm not comfortable with their layout either. Suunto Cobra is a possiblity, but it sounds like it may be difficult to operate, read displays, or see color graphs properly.

1. Can Liberal Computers like the Sherwoods and Oceanics be adjusted in anyway to make them more conservative?

2. Are there other conservative dive computer manufacturers that I haven't listed above?

3. For those that have the Suunto Cobra, are the shortcomings that were pointed out by Roadales accurate? How do you like using your cobra?

Thank you so much

Just because the comp says you have 10 minutes left of NDL, doesn't mean you have to use all 10 before ascending some. You can mentally decide on setting 5 or 10 or 15 or whatever minutes NDL as when you decide it's time to ascend some. It's that easy. Just decide which one has the features you like and a display you can understand easily, and go dive it as conservatively as you choose. Choose to keep different levels of conservancy for different conditions if you like. The computer on your wrist gives you information, the one between your ears does the evaluation.

Good luck with your search,

Darlene

I have been using the Sunto Mosquito for approximately 50 dives and could not be happier with their product. It does all that a rec. diver needs it to do and is easy to use. It is also conservative to a degree that I find reassuring. Just my personal recommendation.

Chris

In general, get the most liberal one you can find and add the conservancy yourself.

You may wish to read a book on decompression theory so that you actually understand what the computer is telling you.

Without that knowledge you are pretty much flying blind.

If that is not an option, then yeah, get the most conservative computer that you can.

Peter
(Christ, I'm getting old and starting to sound like UP :)
(No offense UP! )

If you want conservative computer then buy VR3.
Conservative enought already and you can adjust it to +50%.
Probably VR2 will be the same only cheeper and air+nitrox only.

I just used the Oceanic Veo 200 for the first time this past week-end. Yes it is liberal which I looked for. If you don't mind using alarms, you can set the Veo to go off when you reach a certain level of tissue loading or the countdown timer as it gets closer to decompression limit. This way you can make it more conservative. But you have to pay attention to the alarm and not shut it off and keep diving. Like Scuba_Vixen said the computer just gives you information. It is how you use the information that counts.

If you've got a long rope, you can adapt it to take the place of a shorter rope. If all you got is a short rope, you're SOL if you need a long one.

Go with the liberal computer and make it as conservative as you choose by backing off as much as you would like from its limits.

How do you like the Veo?

I like the way that you can set the alarms and turn off that bloody 50% crap.

That is the one complaint that I have with my Cressi-Archimedes.

Its alarms are not particularly useful, they can't be turned off, and the fricking thing resets to 50% 02 for CNS and Air for N2 after every dive and it locks you out for 10 minutes before you can change them. Aargh!

Peter

Hey diveforfunmike,

The Cressi is more conservative than the SSI tables on its liberal setting and very conservative on its conservative setting.

It has the issues that I complain about above.

I have used it in heavy repetitive diving and never had a DCS problem. That would be 5 days of 5-6 30 minute dives per day.

It does b*tch loud and hard when you get near the NDL. Hard to miss.

So it might be worth looking at.

Peter

diveforfunmike once bubbled...
...3. For those that have the Suunto Cobra, are the shortcomings that were pointed out by Roadales accurate? How do you like using your cobra?
Thank you so much
I have dove the SUUNTO Cobra for 70 dive so far and I have not found it difficult to use. Due to my personal situation (Age 49, Bent 2 years ago) I have it set to P2 as in ultra conservative.

I like the ecomputer and recommend it. befofre you decide, see if you can rent one and dive it yourself.

I believe you are on the right track though, checking the type of dive table the computer uses and liberal Vs conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom