Wrist computer with reliable basic features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrJoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am an experienced diver (40 plus years). I start with this qualification because so many computers are labeled for beginner or advanced diving. I am also a diver at our local Aquarium.
I need a computer to read:

Time of day - it is critical we enter and exit at an exact time. So, this field needs to be easily read at all times, without pressing another button. I need to be able to read the time. A vibration would be cool.

Total bottom time.

Easy to recall logs.

Seems simple enough, right?
Also, it must be the size of a wrist watch. My issue is that most computers throw a myriad of other info that I do not need. Just a simple bottom timer with recall. Any suggestions?

I don't even need depth or safety stop. 3 dives a day in 30 feet or less for under 25 minutes each.
I have a dive watch, and may need to use a Slate to record my dive times.

I have a Suunto mosquito - doesn't save dives
Oceanic neo 100nx - can't access logs

Do not buy used computers on ebay, these two have something wrong

Thank you in advance for your kind input

it is critical we enter and exit at an exact time.
While the time would be visible for entry, you will have to go by dive time for the exit (since you exclude button presses). Most will have a dive time alarm.

FTR, your mosquito has both time alarm and a log function. (The latter is termed "history".)

Oh boy, the Scubaboard answer... Shearwater.
You can customize the display. Set a window to the current time, good to go. Easy logs as well.
In 3 different wrist mount sizes no less.

A digital wrist watch on your arm and any computer with a log function (pretty much all of them, cheapest Suunto will suffice) in your pocket.

I am considering the Shearwater, but then up pops all these battery issues.
It seems every computer has some defeft. Especially, concerned about paying $500 and then dealing with a troubled issue. Customer service is fine but I don't want to keemailing my computer. I dive every week

I am an experienced diver (40 plus years). I start with this qualification because so many computers are labeled for beginner or advanced diving. I am also a diver at our local Aquarium.
I need a computer to read:

Time of day - it is critical we enter and exit at an exact time. So, this field needs to be easily read at all times, without pressing another button. I need to be able to read the time. A vibration would be cool.

Total bottom time.

Easy to recall logs.

Seems simple enough, right?
Also, it must be the size of a wrist watch. My issue is that most computers throw a myriad of other info that I do not need. Just a simple bottom timer with recall. Any suggestions?
Budget?
The Garmins will do what you ask and then some. The G1s are budget friendly for the most part. I have an MK2s. I don’t have time of day configured on the main screen, but it is an option. Vibration and audible alarms are available. Can be used for basic rec dives up to more advanced including trimix and ccr. Logs are available on the device and automatically transferred to your phone once in range.

Lots of other basic computers will do most of what you ask, but time of day on the main screen may be a challenge.

I’m curious, though why you need time of day. I also dive at an aquarium. I’ve been asked for temperature in the past (only because some of the divers were convinced it was colder than it was) but never time of day. The surface support records time, starting and end pressure, and gear details.

I dive with the Garmin MK2s and a Shearwater Perdix. At the aquarium, I just use the Garmin.

For what you are doing, a simple cheap digital dive watch with an alarm and one of these:

I wear a Casio g shock on one wrist and a cressi dive computer on the other wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom