Conservation and harvesting sea cucumbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the safety issues in Fiji UBA are inseparable from the conservation issues as the loss of animal populations directly leads to more desperate and reckless searches for remaining catch at deeper dives. Sorry to be a downer, but we saw similar to this in eastern USA with collapse of Cod fish stock and longer boat trips trying to find fewer fish.
Disagree. There is a big difference between subsistence fishing and the commercial harvesting going on. The guys on UBA in Fiji aren't the people we need to worry about in my opinion. They're small time.

Steaks come from cows not dogs, what do dogs have to do with what I said?

Obviously. I was implying the fact that most people who own dogs view them as a family member and wouldnt in a million years eat them for a meal. If someone were to abuse, rape or skin our dog we would have them arrested and likely jailed. The person responsible for such horrendous acts would be labelled inhumane and a sick, disturbed individual. Apparently, when we do the same thing to cows, pigs, chickens, etc its acceptable, because as you say below "its our right to eat whatever we feel like, cause we're the top of the food chain." Its laughable when i hear dog owners saying they're animal lovers while they're eating a big fat steak that came directly from a slaughter house. Just sayin.

Everything edible is on this planet for only one reason - for human beings to eat it if we want to. That's the payoff of being at the top of the food chain in an eco-system. Anything we don't eat we either keep around because something we do eat, eats it or it's cute to look at.

Animals eat to survive, we eat animals because they taste good, NOT because our survival depends on it. At least not in a first world country.

Subsitance fishing doesn’t exist anymore. It is just commercial interests destroying BOTH fishing stocks and the lives of their diving employees.
Regulated fish farming is the only future to provide both enough products and safe livelihoods.

Actually they need adult supervision as once they've foolishly wiped out all their sea life, they will have neither food OR tourism income, and become wards of the state, and will come to the USA as immigrants/refugees, seeking $ handouts or look to the UN for the same, and the USA is the biggest single $ contributor to anything UN related.

The local people trying to survive are not the ones clearing the ocean. Its the greedy corporations that are owned by other countries (America, England, South America, China) that are emptying the seas. I've been abroad enough to know how locals, especially in Fiji have to do horrendous jobs just to work. There are literally lineups of people sitting on a beach waiting for a fishing boat to stop by and pick 2 people for the day to scuba and hunt, only to be paid $1. Its really a sad sight to witness.

I get what your saying about people coming over the border, not looking to work, but simply to suck government money. And i agree that is a big issue, but not just in America. Its in most, if not ALL, first world countries.

But, if you were one of those people who made $1 per day and had to feed your family but couldnt, would you not want to move to a different country so your children could survive?

Being a native born in a country should not give us the right to dictate who is allowed to come in and who isnt. At the end of the day, we are ALL immigrants here, including the founding fathers. The only ones in America who are NOT immigrants are natives and african-americans, who were forcibly brought to the country as slaves.

Its laughable when i hear dog owners saying they're animal lovers while they're eating a big fat steak that came directly from a slaughter house. Just sayin.

Why is that laughable? You have a very strange compass guiding you in life, we've domesticated dogs and cats as pets not as food, what's difficult to understand the difference there? We are at the top of the food chain with many choices on what we want to eat and what we want to take on walks and toss frisbees at. Again, when you're the top of the food chain on the planet you get to make the decisions.

Animals eat to survive, we eat animals because they taste good, NOT because our survival depends on it. At least not in a first world country.

Some animals are herbivores some are carnivores some are both, some will eat plants some will eat meat some will eat both, humans are the same we can eat both, the difference is get to choose because everything is below us on the food chain. You seem to be lacking a basic grasp of nature?

The local people trying to survive are not the ones clearing the ocean. Its the greedy corporations that are owned by other countries (America, England, South America, China) that are emptying the seas. I've been abroad enough to know how locals, especially in Fiji have to do horrendous jobs just to work. There are literally lineups of people sitting on a beach waiting for a fishing boat to stop by and pick 2 people for the day to scuba and hunt, only to be paid $1. Its really a sad sight to witness.

I get what your saying about people coming over the border, not looking to work, but simply to suck government money. And i agree that is a big issue, but not just in America. Its in most, if not ALL, first world countries.

But, if you were one of those people who made $1 per day and had to feed your family but couldnt, would you not want to move to a different country so your children could survive?

Being a native born in a country should not give us the right to dictate who is allowed to come in and who isnt. At the end of the day, we are ALL immigrants here, including the founding fathers. The only ones in America who are NOT immigrants are natives and african-americans, who were forcibly brought to the country as slaves.
Wow.... greedy corporations... immigration... LOL now I get it. Personal responsibility doesn't exist in your world. Corporations cause Fijian's to do horrible things that they aren't responsible for as a nation, in your world they haven't created a government, haven't given that government the power of over-sight, haven't given that government the power to determine what is good for the long-term welfare of their people. Greedy corporations operate without impunity in Fijian national waters huh? The Fijian government has no power to regulate international corporations huh? You're silly dude, you just want to place blame on "The Man" for everything like it's 1962 again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Lol so in your world its the common people that rule the country and make its decisions, not the governments and corporations right? Do you seriously believe that corporations are not the backbones of governments? I wonder why lobbyists exist if im living in a fantasy world.

Oh, and i assume its also common people that are the reason we see pollution and not from industries, right? Governments that put zero restrictions on hazardous stuff arent influenced at all from corporations, right?

Being a native born in a country should not give us the right to dictate who is allowed to come in and who isnt.

So you are saying that anybody that wants to come in should be allowed to come in Even if there are millions of them. Sounds like a good way to turn the USA into a third world country.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

"...Being a native born in a country should not give us the right to dictate who is allowed to come in and who isnt. At the end of the day, we are ALL immigrants here, including the founding fathers. The only ones in America who are NOT immigrants are natives and african-americans, who were forcibly brought to the country as slaves.

You must be trying to stir the pot. Try that in any country in the world, other than perhaps the U.S., and see what happens to the "illegal immigrant." Every country must control its borders, if for no other reasons than knowing who is in your country, and to protect the safety and integrity its citizens.

Back
Top Bottom