Managing scuba ear problems (not equalizing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can build up, dry, and clog. Very ugly when it's finally washed out but your hearing ability doubles. Easier to wash out if you insert mineral oil, then a cotton ball before sleeping, then irrigate in the morning.
Never ever has such issue. Touch wood.
Individual issue.

I use Swim Ear when I need it. It's cheap, easy, and effective. I haven't had an ear infection since... ever that I can remember.

We were diving in Saba a couple of years ago and a guy on our boat was wearing one of these, which we'd never seen before.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 9.57.15 AM.png

We were diving in Saba a couple of years ago and a guy on our boat was wearing one of these, which we'd never seen before.

View attachment 661485
Can you get Sirius Radio on that thing? I'd like to listen to the Grateful Dead when I am diving. I need a miracle every day. :D

Channel 23, but pay the extra to get the wireless version or you will be limited to 10' or less.

Channel 23, but pay the extra to get the wireless version or you will be limited to 10' or less.
This is not a joke: several years ago a guy who knew of my past background in the specialty gases industry approached me with the question of how he could add nitrous oxide to his SCUBA breathing air. Head exploding emoji.

View attachment 661485

Ok, in full truthfulness, I have SUCH an equalizing mask. I did my 4 checkout dives in Antigua and then my first 10 or so in coz without actually knowing what equalization really was. Every time my middle ear filled with something bad and got infected. on that road I bought a version of that mask with ear covers, but my vanity didn't allow me to use it. The first time my e-tubes squeaked and I felt the air move, I was like 'OH! Now I get it."

It took a while but I think I got the ears working decently. It was long road and they can be fitty and tight but they eventually work.

Side note: The ENT said "Think your problem is you have a pair of huge adenoids." I said "Yea Doc, they are and solid brass too, but how did you know by looking in my ears?"

Seriously he did say that and I said well then rip them outta there, but he said there was a chance of scarring that could close the tubes even more, so I have to live with my huge set.

8392e9004b296f1fd4ebf6bf1c1e5485.jpg

I use Swim Ear when I need it. It's cheap, easy, and effective. I haven't had an ear infection since... ever that I can remember.
I guess you're referring to the little white bottle of alcohol sold in stores. I collected three bottles of that before I switched to making my own with added vinegar that you can't get in stores and kept using the same bottles for over a decade.

So what does "when I need it" mean exactly? Only when you sense water in your ear? I didn't have any problems with water taking a few hours to drain after swimming for decades, but a couple of Swimmer's Ear infections after starting scuba changed my attitude and approach. If I lost my bottles on a trip I'd buy shots of vodka in the bar.

I did my 4 checkout dives in Antigua and then my first 10 or so in coz without actually knowing what equalization really was.
Ouch! Did you not tell your instructor that your ears hurt? How did you descend without equalizing? Sometimes I can just yawn at 15 feet but squeeze & blow is best I think.

I guess you're referring to the little white bottle of alcohol sold in stores.

Alcohol and anhydrous glycerine, yes.

So what does "when I need it" mean exactly? Only when you sense water in your ear? I didn't have any problems with water taking a few hours to drain after swimming for decades, but a couple of Swimmer's Ear infections after starting scuba changed my attitude and approach. If I lost my bottles on a trip I'd buy shots of vodka in the bar.

Again, yes, when I have water in my ears. BTW, vodka is only about 40% alcohol; it's not that great a drying agent.

Sometimes I can just yawn at 15 feet but squeeze & blow is best I think.
I don't use Valsalva (squeeze and blow). There is no reverse process for ascending, and I am concerned that I could force something into my Eustachian tubes that would cause a reverse squeeze. Incidentally, I would never wait until I was 15 feet down to start equalizing; I start at the surface and do it every couple of seconds as I descend.

Back
Top Bottom