#$%@ Connector came un-connected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Man -

On my first dive this afternoon - I reach back, flip on the switch and nothing.

DUH - I forgot to to connect the batt....last time out I transported it hooked up - this time I didn't. So after dive #1 I get settled on the ground, and reach in to the canister to hook up the connector to the batt, and I see the connector - one of the wires has pulled out somehow.

One dive - connector pulled? No Bueno.

It would be nice if the connection was soldered for this kind of money.

Any suggestions? Can the pins be released from the connector so I can solder the darn things...?

Thanks -

K

There should be a metal prong holding the connector in the palstic housing.You need to depress that prong or prongs from the front side of the plastic housing and push the connector out through the backside of the plastic housing.Solder the wire to the connector and spread the prong out again and reinsert it through the backside of the connector.I am really surprised the wires arent soldered.Be sure to pull the connector apart using the plastic housing and not by the wires.Your connecter looks slightly different than mine but should work the same....hopefully :D

Maybe a jewelers screwdriver to click the catch down...we'll give it a shot. It was too late, and I was too tired to dive (!) in last night.

Ken

PS: when I gave the green wire a little tug - it pulled out too.... Nice QC

irritating

if it was crimped terminal end may be too knackered to reuse

id get a good noncorrosive lowresidue no cleanup flux pop out all the connectors as lal explianed and solder them all if one is bad someone prob doesnt know how to crimp and just a matter of time for the others

dont overdo soldering you dont want solder to flow so far up wire is makes it brittle an break farther up later

if yours isnt reusable i got lots of the little metal termimanl peices for those kind of connectors i can send you a couple if you need it maybe faster than going through the manufactuer whoevef that may be

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Maybe a jewelers screwdriver to click the catch down...we'll give it a shot. It was too late, and I was too tired to dive (!) in last night.

Ken

PS: when I gave the green wire a little tug - it pulled out too.... Nice QC

DNAXdiver once bubbled...

if yours isnt reusable i got lots of the little metal termimanl peices for those kind of connectors i can send you a couple if you need it maybe faster than going through the manufactuer whoevef that may be

Those metal terminals with the "catch" on them are often available from Radio Shack. If it's unusable, might take one to your local store and see of they can match it up.

I'd be calling someone about that one. E.E. is open on sunday.
QC seems to be an ongoing challenge.:( :(
Good thing your life doesn't depend on that equipment,huh??
:wink:

JeffAustin once bubbled...
Good thing your life doesn't depend on that equipment,huh??
:wink:

Good argument for reliable backup lights huh?

The connectors are color coded to idiot proof them for batt hook up and charge hook up. I just got back this AM, and if I can't get this thing together in a few minuts, I'll hack the connectors and replace them with ones that are more easily available.

More soon -

K

PS: on another subject - when Ziggys_Friend and I were diving yesterday, his Scouts came on at depth.... Has anyone else experienced that?

PS: on another subject - when Ziggys_Friend and I were diving yesterday, his Scouts came on at depth.... Has anyone else experienced that?
If you don't back the bezel off enough, the pressure at depth compresses the bezel enough for the batteries to make contact and the light turns on. You have to back them off a bit more so this doesn't happen. You can test them (sort of), by grabbing the lighthead (rubber part) and pressing the tail end of the light against a hard surface really hard and see if you can turn the light on (simulating depth compression). If you can't, it should be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom