Bonaire emergency at 65 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They used a board that had handles on all four ends. Luckly we had help from the shore.

None, obviously. So what's your point?

That the benefit of knowing where the safety gear is at the place where you pick up your tanks - while a good idea in theory - approaches zero in practicality in a place like Bonaire. (About the same value as knowing where the AED is at the Home Depot back home.)

But if requesting and getting a guided tour makes you feel better... go for it. I'll be in the water if you need me.

:D

Hello all, I wrote up the incident that Bill posted, the rescued diver is my Dad. He's been to see a cardiologist here in Michigan and after some preliminary tests they still haven't found a root cause. He's recovered 100% from the incident but still can't remember some of what happened, seeing as he was out it, it's no surprise to me.

Some comments to your replies, giving him my octo to breath off of, I didn't even think about it at the time, just like I had a whistle on my BCD in case of this very situation, I didn't think to use that either. I used the term stretcher but I guess the proper term is backboard, once we got to the ambulance we transferred him to a stretcher.

My Mother did have a conversation with DAN, and relayed the information I gave to her about that day and they think it could have been caused by many small events leading up to the issue. I noticed helping him with his shorty that if felt like it was too small, that may have caused some restriction in his chest, maybe he exerted himself a bit much gearing up, the water was a little cold which would cause the fluids to move to the core and caused more stress on his heart. The doctors is Bonaire thought there could be a restriction in his blood vessels and his heart couldn't keep up, but they did verify there was no heart damage. If they do find a root cause I’ll update this thread and share the knowledge. If anything that I wrote pertaining to medical stuff is wrong, I'm sure I'm translating it wrong so don't shoot the messenger.

-Rick

That the benefit of knowing where the safety gear is at the place where you pick up your tanks - while a good idea in theory - approaches zero in practicality in a place like Bonaire. (About the same value as knowing where the AED is at the Home Depot back home.)

But if requesting and getting a guided tour makes you feel better... go for it. I'll be in the water if you need me.

:D

Whatever. This discussion wasn't about diving remote sites until you took it there by skewing the context of my comments. The incident happened while diving from the dive shop and response included dive shop staff and first aid resources. Someone asked whether the shop had an AED available, which is a perfectly legitimate question. I responded that a) the shop had an AED, and b) the ideal time to learn about available emergency resources is before an incident occurs.

This same logic applies to diving from boats too, which is why boat operators include emergency protocol in their briefings. I was merely suggesting that the logistic of self-guided shore diving may require that divers take the initiative to inquire about this info, rather than expect it to be delivered ala DM briefing etc.

As a fellow instructor I'm surprised to see your dismissive response and self-centered attitude regarding this topic. Especially since the discussion is based around a real and recent incident. I would never tell my students (or any other divers) that "if requesting and getting a guided safety tour makes you feel better... go for it. I'll be in the water if you need me."

Wow.

I think you did an excellent job throughout the whole ideal... Like in rescue class, we always second guess ourselves as to what we should have done better. As others have said, I think you did a stellar job in the situation.

Have any of the doctors examining him refer to the possibility of him having a Vasovagal Syncope? Since everything else seems to have been ruled out I'm sitting here wondering what might have happened. Perhaps the stresses you mentioned set off a Vasovagal Syncope episode?

Just a thought...

Jim

Jim, I sent that info to the parents so they can inquire with the doctor, from my point of view it doesn't match real close with his condition, his blood pressure was spiking at 190 on the way to the hospital.

As to did we check about an AED before the dive, we did not, if they have one there I would hope they would know how to use it, within 5 minutes of me requesting air someone had it there and hooked up quickly for us. I've learned a lot from this incident and I appreciate the input people have given.

Just to point out how fortunate we were, that was our second dive of the day, my Dad passed on the first dive because he didn't feel comfortable about the entry, this site was just south of the Hilma Hooker, no dive shop, oxygen, phone, people to help carry him, and we didn't know where the hospital was. Needleess to say we're all glad he passed on the dive.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 10:25 AM ----------

Here is some feedback I received from my parents:

"Hmmm interesting. I’m still leaning on the Immersion Pulmonary Edema guess at this point from the folks at Dan…it seems the most plausible given the situation and the fact that they could not find any other issues with him once at the hospital. The Dan person also said that unless they would have done a CT scan of his lungs/chest almost immediately after arriving at the hospital we may never know. Although not all symptoms are completely identical to Bill’s – this is interesting from Scuba Board as well… http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/content/519-diving-immersion-pulmonary-edema.html ."

From my perspective, this sounds like a very good possibility.

Last edited:
I am glad for the successful rescue of a diver in distress and his apparent recovery. As to the naysayers regarding safety precautions at all of the dive site, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. If someone is suggesting that there is O2 and a difib at each site they are going to do to diving what happened to skiing years ago. Yes, you can go, but a team of lawyers and magistrates have built in an enormous cost for you.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 05:38 AM ----------

I am very happy for you and your family that everything worked out the way it did regarding the situation.
You made a very good point with regards to diving south ( or any remote location) and not knowing where the hospital was, no phone, etc... it is very important
for shore divers to know where the hospital is and be aware of the circumstances around them if there is an incident in remote locations. Thanks for bringing that awareness to the board.
Best wishes for your Dad's recovery.

Last edited:
Deedee, you bring up a good point.
When shore diving Bonaire, I always have a nautilus lifeline on my BC so that I can contact the authorities if there is a problem.
Would not leave a cellphone in the truck because of risk of theft.

I wonder if anyone actually monitors the marine band emergency channel on Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom