Bonaire emergency at 65 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know if there was a portable defibrillator at the dive shop?

Yes. The AED at the DFB Hamlet shop is prominently mounted on the wall in the breezeway area, near the tables and the benches for divers. DFB also has AEDs at their Port Bonaire, Dive Inn, and Yellow Sub shops. I'm not sure if the new Sand Dollar shop has one. DFB Sand Dollar isn't really a waterfront operation, but the main reason I don't know is because I haven't been there yet. All DFB dive shops also have oxygen and first aid kits.

As a general rule all divers should make an effort to inquire about safety equipment and protocol during dive shop orientation. If you dive at multiple locations (DFB has 5 now) you should request an orientation for each shop you dive from. This story is a classic example why. I'm always amazed at the number of posts in this forum where divers are proud of how fast they breezed through orientation and got into the water.

Glad to see everyone came out okay. FWIW DFB staff also engages in periodic staff drills for this kind of thing. Just one more reason I appreciate and patronize Dive Friends Bonaire.

Excellent information wwguy! I agree with you. Dive Friends Bonaire is a wonderful op. After reading your post, it reinforces my loyalty. I admit that I am guilty about not paying attention to or inquiring about emergency protocol. Definitely good to know.

Yes. The AED at the DFB Hamlet shop is prominently mounted on the wall in the breezeway area, near the tables and the benches for divers. DFB also has AEDs at their Port Bonaire, Dive Inn, and Yellow Sub shops. I'm not sure if the new Sand Dollar shop has one. DFB Sand Dollar isn't really a waterfront operation, but the main reason I don't know is because I haven't been there yet. All DFB dive shops also have oxygen and first aid kits.

As a general rule all divers should make an effort to inquire about safety equipment and protocol during dive shop orientation. If you dive at multiple locations (DFB has 5 now) you shouldrequest an orientation for each shop you dive from. This story is a classic example why. I'm always amazed at the number of posts in this forum where divers are proud of how fast they breezed through orientation and got into the water.

DFB has five locations? Great. Between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire there's ~100 marked dive sites. What good will the AED in the breezeway near the tables and benches at the DFB Hamlet shop do anyone if their buddy has a heart attack during a dive at 1,000 Steps?

Unfortunately, all sports activities have inherent risks that need to be recognized and accepted. Diving has risks and that is the bottom line. We divers and the dive shops can use best practices to limit risk exposure but impossible to eliminate all.
If you have an MI at the house reef or on a boat dive, you might survive if there is O2 and trained personnel. At 1000 steps, you are on your own. That's the way it goes.

Pops is fine. They basically could find nothing wrong and think it may have been stress and dehydration. Be sure everyone drinks lots of water!

First, great job by everyone involved, and thankfully a positive outcome.

One question, and it's an EMT logistical one, not a second guess on the EMS crew (who sound they they did a great job themselves). You mention the problems getting the "stretcher" up the difficult stairway. Would a backboard or litter been better/easier to navigate with? Again, not questioning their approach, just filing away information for my own rescue medicine purposes.

First, great job by everyone involved, and thankfully a positive outcome.

One question, and it's an EMT logistical one, not a second guess on the EMS crew (who sound they they did a great job themselves). You mention the problems getting the "stretcher" up the difficult stairway. Would a backboard or litter been better/easier to navigate with? Again, not questioning their approach, just filing away information for my own rescue medicine purposes.
In the service where I work, we have stretchers that are battery/hydraulic. Great for avoiding back, shoulder and knee injuries but they weigh a ton. About 70 kg empty. Way too heavy to navigate up and down any stairs.
Often I will use a stairchair when stairs need to be negotiated. Basically it is a small folding wheelchair. It is equipped with handles that extend to prevent Medics from having to bend and twist.
The best part is the two tracks on the rear of the chairs that grip the threshhold of steps as you descend/ascend. Same principle as a furniture dolly for moving appliances.
Tracks are also battery powered to allow you to ascend stairs effort free.
A spine board or scoop stetcher are also options but they have risks involved with their use. Carrying a person up stairs, you assume their entire weight and depending on the size of the staircase you may not be able to get enough hands in there to help.
We also have carrying tarps and bariatric equipment but those items are used less frequently thankfully
Hope that helps
Cheers

Thanks for sharing. Adds to the case made by SB member Jim Lapenta, in another thread I'd started about getting AOW, that getting rescue diver certification may best to take first for any diver.

Nice job by you and your group.

In the service where I work, we have stretchers that are battery/hydraulic. Great for avoiding back, shoulder and knee injuries but they weigh a ton. About 70 kg empty. Way too heavy to navigate up and down any stairs.
Often I will use a stairchair when stairs need to be negotiated. Basically it is a small folding wheelchair. It is equipped with handles that extend to prevent Medics from having to bend and twist.
The best part is the two tracks on the rear of the chairs that grip the threshhold of steps as you descend/ascend. Same principle as a furniture dolly for moving appliances.
Tracks are also battery powered to allow you to ascend stairs effort free.
A spine board or scoop stetcher are also options but they have risks involved with their use. Carrying a person up stairs, you assume their entire weight and depending on the size of the staircase you may not be able to get enough hands in there to help.
We also have carrying tarps and bariatric equipment but those items are used less frequently thankfully
Hope that helps
Cheers

Understood, and thanks for the input. I was wondering about this specific environment/location. I don't work the street, and most, if not all of my rescue work is wilderness, including rope rescue. Just wondering how this situation might fit.

DFB has five locations? Great. Between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire there's ~100 marked dive sites. What good will the AED in the breezeway near the tables and benches at the DFB Hamlet shop do anyone if their buddy has a heart attack during a dive at 1,000 Steps?

None, obviously. So what's your point?

The AED at my local Home Depot doesn't help me if I have a heart attack while mowing my lawn either.

Back
Top Bottom