Conflicted: Online v LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I posted ORIGINALLY I didn't realize that that the person was from AU. That has since been clarified.

I thought it was BS because the MSRP on the gear listed is barely above "a couple of grand" USD here in the US, so the idea of saving "a couple of grand" on a set of gear that barely COSTS a couple of grand seemed ridiculous. Now that I realize that we're talking $AU plus the fact that apparently gear is simply more expensive down under, I can see that the difference in price could be "a couple of grand." That's what I said in my second post in this thread and my most recent.

No agenda...I was not aware of the details when I posted originally. Then you and the OP clarified the details. No problem. Not sure how I look foolish or desperate...

:shakehead:

I took your last post the wrong way. My apologies.

Kern

Can you provide anymore info on the grey market item issue with Suunto and/or Apeks products?

Differences if I purchased the item from Oz, US or Europe and differences between online or LDS? If there was an issue would I need to return the item to the UK and would there potentially be a warranty issue?

Thanks

Rob

Yes and no, depends what it is. A lot of stuff is overpriced (electronics as well as scuba gear) as it is a small market but with the internet it's really changing that around. Like camera gear I can buy much cheaper online (half price) but it seems the local camera shops have not caught on to this. I don't feel any obligation personally to buy local stuff just to support local businesses but a lot of people still feel they need to support local business..................

A little OT but we have the same nonsense here in Canada, the one big difference is that I can hop in my car and drive to upstate NY in about an hour. It took the distributors a long time to adjust prices on imported goods even when the C$ was at par with the US$ now........:focus:

Kern

Can you provide anymore info on the grey market item issue with Suunto and/or Apeks products?

Differences if I purchased the item from Oz, US or Europe and differences between online or LDS? If there was an issue would I need to return the item to the UK and would there potentially be a warranty issue?

Thanks

Rob

Aquanaut Oz (Aqulung distributer here) will not honour any warranty on any equipment purchased online from OS or Oz

Aqualung (Sunnto & Apeks) in the US & Oz doesn't allow authorised retailers to sell on line. Companies in the US like Liesurepro aren't authorised Aqualung retailers & are described as grey market retailers. As such they don't have access to the manufacturers warranty service. Liesurepro doe's however offer its own warranty service on such items. Of course to access this warranty you will have to send the items back to them in the US.

In Europe its illegal for a manufacturer to tell a retailer how they can sell their equipment. Therefore authorised retailers such as Scubastore, etc., are allowed to sell online. As Aquanaut Oz will not honour the warranty of anything purchased online OS, you will have to send it back to Europe for warranty service.

When it comes to servicing your equipment, some LDSs will be happy to charge you for the service, some will refuse & call you names & some will just call you names & tell you not to come back for anything ever.

To date I have purchased 6 Apeks regs from Scubastore, Spain. I figure I'v saved so much money, even if I'd only bought 1, that I wouldn't mind sending it back if there ever was a warranty issue. I also believe I'd get it done faster & with better service than I would from Aqunuts Oz, & yes that's accounting for the return trip.

PS. regs are pretty tough, computers not so much.

Last edited:
The online vs LDS thing is a misconception. A better comparison is self serve vs full service. If you are not willing or able to read understand and apply information in the equipment manuals; properly set up the equipment; do some basic shallow water testing to make certain the equipment performs properly before taking it to depth; and be willing to return defective gear to the online dealer for adjustment or repairs, the LDS might be your best bet. If you are able to do these self service items yourself, you earn the substantial savings that comes with an online purchase.

I've found, by and large, that I get much better treatment by my LDS when it comes to air fills, 'deals,' insider info on upcoming trips and purchases, and so on because I deal with them first. I've gotten at bunch of tanks for next to nothing because they knew I was looking for tanks and hooked me up with another customer who they knew to maybe be looking to sell. I am one of a few people who get first choice at used gear. And on it goes.

Develop a relationship and it will pay off. Just never forget that they are in business to make money, so don't be cheap about it. But if you're a loyal, frequent customer, you'll never be paying for air fills, and if you dive a lot and are half-way likable, you'll come out way ahead of the guys who just buy off of the net.

I have to say after spending alot of time and money Don't think i have ever gotten anything for free

I can't say I have gotten anything for free, except for almost all my air fills this past summer. But I have have never paid the sticker price on anything I have purchased in my LDS. I also do my research before I buy something and I generally know what I am going to buy before I go into the dive shop, but have also changed my mind, due to seeing something that was maybe a second choice and a lot cheaper.

Rob, if your don't mind, I'd be interested in how your LDS responds to your query about sourcing equipment online.

I'v bought most of my gear online. Most of my tanks, my X1, my light, all came from WA online retailers. Almost everything else, from regs to my 1st computer, drysuit to BP/Ws all came from OS online.

I have a great relationship with 3 of the 4 LDSs. My main LDS discounts my boat dives, tank fills & is happy to service anything I might like to bring in, once again at a discount price.

PS. A little story about my last tank purchase. It was a Catalina S40. It arrived today from WA without a hydro stamp. Gave them a ring, & they said, "put it back in the box, put 'return to sender' on the box & send it back. Sorry about that & would you like a refund or have it returned with the proper stamp." Yes a bit of a hassle, but considering how long it would have taken through one of the LDSs, the $150 saving on the tank & the free shipping, I'm happy to deal with the occasional lapse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom