Conflicted: Online v LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's a fallacy to call the 200 top of the line & the 50 mid level. To me, price has nothing to do with these sort of descriptors. I differentiate on function & usability. I own an ATX 200 & an XTX 200 & don't like the way they mount on single tanks at all. In fact when I used the 200 on singles (thats several hundred dives worth) I mounted it upside down. I much prefer the DS4 50 for my singles rig. I like my tank high enough on my back to manipulate my valves & the DS4 gives me about an inch more head room then a 200 mounted the right way up.

But as bubble said; I think that, on a fundamental level, you and I approach scuba gear purchases in a different way. Enjoy the XTX200. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

I am sure given experience my approach to scuba gear will be completely different, another reason I am waiting until after I have completed my OW certification as I am sure even a small ammount of experience could affect the way I think. At this stage I don't have much to go on but the advice and opinions provided by the people I know, what I read and what the people around me are using. I thought my selection wasn't a bad starting point and gave me room to move as I am sure it could take years and hundreds of dives before I know what is truly best for me and even then things change.

Call it what you will, retail the price of my kit with an SMB and finger spool was just over $6,000 (local retail) and as a package deal and with current sales I was able to get it down to just over $4,700.

Didn't realize that the big chunk of the difference was US-AU currency conversion,

Add up the MSRP on all Items take 25% off go into the LDS tell him you want to buy everything this is what your looking to spend. If he says he can not do that start calling around to other dealers before you jump online. Might take some persistance but you should be able to get that deal and from an "Authorized" shop.

Didn't realize that the big chunk of the difference was US-AU currency conversion,

Not sure what you mean?

Call it what you will, retail the price of my kit with an SMB and finger spool was just over $6,000 (retail price from local retailer in AU$) (local retail) and as a package deal and with current sales I was able to get it down to just over $4,700.(best deal from local retailer in AU$) Looking through leisurepro with shipping and dollar conversion the price came down to around $3,000.(cost of same goods from US internet store, cost of goods & freight converted to AU$) I will email you my quote if you wish.

You're starting to look foolish & desperate at this point. Whats your agenda here, it's certainly not to help anyone.

Last edited:
I agree with those who suggest thinking hard about what features you really need for the kind of diving you will be doing, and some of those decisions are not easy to make until you know more about what you are doing.

When I take students around the LDS and come to the regulator wall, I ask them to think exactly what benefits the top of the line regulators provide that are not found in more middle of the road regulators. The top of the line regulator costs nearly twice as much as the ones I use, and my needs are pretty demanding. I can't figure out what that regulator provides that mine don't.

I feel even more strongly about computers. The average open water diver has very basic computer needs, and they will never have a need for many of the features of the more expensive computers. In fact, I just wrote a review of a very expensive new model that I demoed, and my review was not pretty. The computer has features that are unnecessary for the basic diver (it can do three different nitrox mixes on a single dive), but it lacks features that a more advanced diver needs (it can't do helium). The number of divers who need to be able to use three different nitrox mixes but don't ever need to use helium is pretty darn small, I expect.

In summary, I say figure out what your computing needs are first. Next, truly understand what the various features are and why you need them. Then buy what you either need now or think you might reasonably need soon. Don't pay for anything you will never conceivably need.

My philosophy when it comes to local vs. online is simple. If I can fix it and am willing to take full responsibility for all repairs or it's not something that the local shop would be able to fix anyway, I buy online if it is cheaper. This means that masks, fins, snorkels, exposure suits (if I already know my size), BCDs, knives, other accessories, and even computers are fair game from an online source. Regs are something that I will always buy from an LDS just because I'm not comfortable working with them.

You're starting to look foolish & desperate at this point. Whats your agenda here, it's certainly not to help anyone.

When I posted ORIGINALLY I didn't realize that that the person was from AU. That has since been clarified.

I thought it was BS because the MSRP on the gear listed is barely above "a couple of grand" USD here in the US, so the idea of saving "a couple of grand" on a set of gear that barely COSTS a couple of grand seemed ridiculous. Now that I realize that we're talking $AU plus the fact that apparently gear is simply more expensive down under, I can see that the difference in price could be "a couple of grand." That's what I said in my second post in this thread and my most recent.

No agenda...I was not aware of the details when I posted originally. Then you and the OP clarified the details. No problem. Not sure how I look foolish or desperate...

:shakehead:

I think, when you are trying to make decisions among products with significant price differences, and you ask advice of people, they should be able to articulate very specific things about the higher priced items that convinced them to pay the price.

"I switched, and I'm glad I did," is not very specific. Even, "They breathe better," is a hard one, because the breathing characteristics of regulators are so heavily influenced by how they are adjusted. Things like, "I dive a lot in very murky water, so I decided an environmentally sealed regulator would probably tolerate the particulates better," is a specific reason for switching. "I'm diving in very cold water, and I had problems with the piston reg free-flowing," is a specific reason.

There are many characteristics built into high-end equipment that are minimally useful, if at all. But they have to do SOMETHING to sell the gear, so they put bells and whistles on it and then try to convince the buyer that those features are must-haves.

Many of us have had experiences which have taught us that middle-of-the-line equipment serves every bit as well, and frees up funds for truly useful additional purchases, like good dive lights.

As Boulderjohn says, if you can make a list of characteristics that you really NEED to have, and shop for goods which provide those things, you will be much more likely to end up with equipment you won't replace in short order. Read the, "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. Study some "this reg vs. that" threads, with special attention to DA Aquamaster's posts (he knows his stuff).

Whether you buy things from your LDS or on line, doing some careful homework beforehand will save you money and frustration in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom