Confessions of a former Fusion hater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the ones I have seen are installed through to the outside of the skin. I don't think I would be sitting next to anybody on the dive boat if their's only went through the inner shell.

All the ones I have seen are installed through to the outside of the skin. I don't think I would be sitting next to anybody on the dive boat if their's only went through the inner shell.

My SM instructor has his through inner shell only. I've heard of other people doing it that way.

EDIT: The stinky issue is why I was wondering about this.

I would suggest that you let them "stew in their own juices" and have yours installed through both layers.

@Marie13 Despite teasing you in the other thread about your bag, I've been following this one as I am trying to decide if I want to go dry and buy a fusion myself.

Your question was one that I had been cogitating on as well and had spent time reading some threads on installation that touch on the subject.
References:
Aqua Lung/Whites Fusion P-valve Install
P-Valve Install in Fusion
TL,DR: (Or executive summary for us older folks) Depends on if you need to mess with the valve for operation during the dive and what type of skin - permeable skins with lycra in that area are somewhat optional, Fusion & KVR-1 probably YES.

I went diving today with my Fusion Bullet and my Thermal Fusion under suit....the only complaints I have are the neoprene outer skin is heavy when wet, and despite the suit being a 2xl/3xl I find it restrictive in the inner upper thigh area. I have this restricted sensation even with thinner fleece trousers under the suit. I am not sure if this is an issue with the Fusion, or if it is an issue with drysuits in general...this is my first drysuit so I have nothing to compare this to. Any one have any feedback with experience with other types of suits?

-Z
Regarding that restriction in the upper thigh: current Bullet has a slide lock bungee inside the pockets as the pocket support system. If that is snugged up, you will restrict the fit on the thighs. So it doubles as a thigh adjustment! Loosen that up and I bet your problem is solved.

Other random notes:
I really wish my L/XL was 2 inches longer. Neck ring really scrapes my head getting out, but next size up too baggy for my frame. It has been suggested that I try an L/XL skin over a 2x/3x core. Haven’t done that yet, but it makes sense.
I also am annoyed by the Bullet ability to hold water. Might want to try a Sport with tech shorts. The Sport is more durable than you think - I was told that when Whites introduced the Fusion they produced a run of extra Sport skins expecting people to wear them out, and it didn’t happen.
Best way to take the suit off - have buddy grab the heel and pull out.
I have been wearing sock liners plus 3mm neoprene socks, and rarely feel a chill in my feet.

Regarding that restriction in the upper thigh: current Bullet has a slide lock bungee inside the pockets as the pocket support system. If that is snugged up, you will restrict the fit on the thighs. So it doubles as a thigh adjustment! Loosen that up and I bet your problem is solved.

Interesting...I do have the bungee pulled through the slide locks a bit. I will undo that completely and see if it resolves my issue like you mentioned and report back...next dive will be next weekend in a cold dark hole so I will definitely be diving the dry suit.

Thanks for the tip.

oh, I emailed DRIS a couple of weeks ago...they have the lycra sport skin in 2 styles...with velcro attachments around the chest/zip area for older suits and with zippers for the current model.

-Z

@Marie13 Despite teasing you in the other thread about your bag, I've been following this one as I am trying to decide if I want to go dry and buy a fusion myself.

Your question was one that I had been cogitating on as well and had spent time reading some threads on installation that touch on the subject.
References:
Aqua Lung/Whites Fusion P-valve Install
P-Valve Install in Fusion
TL,DR: (Or executive summary for us older folks) Depends on if you need to mess with the valve for operation during the dive and what type of skin - permeable skins with lycra in that area are somewhat optional, Fusion & KVR-1 probably YES.

Do it! :wink:. Yes, I would need to operate the valve during the dive. That’s the whole point of getting the p-valve and going through all the trouble of glueing on a She-P! :wink: The skin on my suit is the very stretchy neoprene. Emailed the shop on something else and asked about the P-valve installation

I installed mine through the inner skin only. It is always left fully open and the suit does not stink at all. The she-p is going to be one hell of a learning curve though.

I installed mine through the inner skin only. It is always left fully open and the suit does not stink at all. The she-p is going to be one hell of a learning curve though.

I actually played with it at home a bit last winter. Basically, "landscaping" and figuring out how to glue the thing on, then drinking a lot of water and sitting in the bathtub when using it to see about leaks. Never hooked it up to dive plumbed since by that time I'd lost enough weight that diving dry in my old suit was a no-go.

Loosened the pocket support bungees when donning my suit yesterday. It worked to reduce the tightness in the thigh area of the suit....I did not feel like it had as much of that "wrapped" sensation.

Thanks for the tip.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom