Confessions of a former Fusion hater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In this thread DUI vs Aqualung Fusion Drysuits I came out that I had ordered a Fusion after being against them for almost two years. I had a bad experience with a rental that had horrendously long arms/legs during my OW class (I got drysuit certified at the same time, plus DRIS - my shop - puts all OW students in drysuits for checkout quarry dives).

Stopped by DRIS today to get fills and had a good talk with Mike. Tried on a regular Fusion (Sport?) in L/XL and it was a pretty good fit, even in arm/leg length (I'd taken my drysuit undies with me). Socks a bit big, but I can deal with that. As far as we can figure, the one with the monstrously long arms and legs I had as a rental two years ago must have been an 2XL. I've lost enough weight that I fit into the L/XL now. I ordered the Fusion Fit (Aircore). May have it by Friday, probably Monday at the latest.

I really liked the stretch and flexibility. I loved my USIA, but it was stiff. Fusion is also lighter, which will make my knees happy. Close fit also a positive. I've been diving wet for more than a year, and I love the flexibility in a wet suit (I have good Bare Evoke wetsuits in 3/5/7mm).

Still not a huge fan of the Fusion zipper, but I'll just deal.

You can say, "I told you so!" :wink:

and

Did 4 dives in the loaner Fusion this weekend. 2 quarry, 2 Lake Michigan.

First impressions:

Heck of a lot more flexible and lighter than my USIA trilam. Nice to dive. I had no issues getting my fins on at the quarry.

It felt weird getting into the top half. You have to twitch your shoulders or something to get it on your shoulders. Found it was easier while sitting on the boat than standing at the quarry.

It was HOT. Can’t wait to get mine wth the AirCore and see if it really is as breathable as advertised. The 61F bottom temp on the second wreck yesterday was very welcome. I wore a workout wicking t-shirt and leggings under the AL MK2 fleece onesie. It was 50F at 45ft at the quarry on Saturday. Felt lovely. It was hot and sunny. Got suited up and then hung out in the water for a bit before getting geared up. Even my buddy in his 7mm did the same.

Since the suit is more flexible, it’s also easier to deal with when packing in its bag and drying at home (hung it on a HangAir and ran the fan all night).

The amount of weight I needed was ridiculous -28 lbs! 4 more than my 7mm. This was with a SS BP and weighted STA (12 lbs) and a steel HP80. But 28lbs is about what I needed with my other drysuit. Hope I can drop some of it soon! Will try it with SM at the quarry Saturday, back on the lake Sunday.

EDIT: still not a fan of the zipper.

Took me a month to get it. Picked it up tonight. AirCore much easier to get into than the DryCore on the loaner rental suit. AirCore is slicker. Heck of a lot quieter, too! Fit is very good. I have pockets! I got the old soft Fusion boots, not the new ridiculous moon boots! DRIS had one pair left in my size. Wish the socks were smaller. The zippers on the legs help getting into the suit. So happy to get back to more comfortable seals. The standard size SiTech silicone seals fit me perfectly. Don't have to trim neck nor wrist. The loaner had the same seals, but didn't fit as nicely. It comes with the oval SiTech wrist system.

I had my fleece MK2 under suit while I was in the shop. I was only zipped up for a few minutes, but I had the suit half on for a while. I was warm, but it wasn't too bad. AirCore seemed to help. I would have been a heck of a lot hotter in the DryCore.

I got the Waterproof Ultima dry glove system. Per another thread, this system is a b***h and a half to get the gloves on the rings. No kidding! It took two guys at the shop to do it! I'm using the blue smurf gloves as they fit me best. The vinyl gloves were a very bad fit. Fingers way too long. The guys at the shop said it's pretty common for folks with the Ultima system to come into the shop for help putting new gloves on the rings! Ask for Augie, he's got it down to a science! :wink:

All the Lake Michigan charters are blown out this weekend, so I'll be out at the quarry on Sunday. Next Sunday, I'll be diving the Milwaukee Car Ferry and the Willie (Prins Willem V) out of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is a deep, cold wreck (about 125-130ft to the sand), so I'm glad I've got my suit.
w2E8JCxzS4WYb0iPa6ftNQ.jpg
cJ5gEHCwTT+gQPkIjW5fbg.jpg

I won a White's Fusion in the northeast regional Ultimate Diver competition back in 2007 and I really liked the fit and the comfort. I didn't like the gas trapping while cave diving. It seemed like I was venting much larger amounts every few feet vs. my DUI. After I sold it, a White's rep told me that if I had used the smaller internal bag it would have worked to mimic a cave cut. Wish I hadn't sold it. My DUI TLS-350 just got repaired for the 20-somethingth time.

I won a White's Fusion in the northeast regional Ultimate Diver competition back in 2007 and I really liked the fit and the comfort. I didn't like the gas trapping while cave diving. It seemed like I was venting much larger amounts every few feet vs. my DUI. After I sold it, a White's rep told me that if I had used the smaller internal bag it would have worked to mimic a cave cut. Wish I hadn't sold it. My DUI TLS-350 just got repaired for the 20-somethingth time.

Mine fits very closely. Yours must have been looser.

I have to say, that my Whites Fusion has been very good. Is the outer skin slightly stretchy, with pockets?

I swap between the Fusion, and the DUI TLS membrane (my backup and travel suit).
If DUI quality hadn't been so poor in the last 5-10 years I would have replaced my Crushed Neoprene DUI with another. But everyone I new who bought a DUI had issues. I wasn't prepared to pay premium rates for a substandard suit. I bought the Fusion as an interim suit after a very wet season of diving as my main suit finally gave up the ghost.

Enjoy your diving :)

I have to say, that my Whites Fusion has been very good. Is the outer skin slightly stretchy, with pockets?

I swap between the Fusion, and the DUI TLS membrane (my backup and travel suit).
If DUI quality hadn't been so poor in the last 5-10 years I would have replaced my Crushed Neoprene DUI with another. But everyone I new who bought a DUI had issues. I wasn't prepared to pay premium rates for a substandard suit. I bought the Fusion as an interim suit after a very wet season of diving as my main suit finally gave up the ghost.

Enjoy your diving :)

Yes, the outer skin is stretchy with pockets. A friend who currently has an old (more than 10 years old) DUI he bought used said he used to have a Fusion. Dove like a dream, but it was a heart attack to get into it. :wink:

This one fits me better than the Sport loaner since the skin is cut for women. Maybe because the AirCore liner is softer, too.

I won’t test the AirCore breathability much at the quarry tomorrow as air temps will be in the 60sF. Dive buddy’s original people he was going to dive with tomorrow cancelled since air temps are too cold for them (warm water divers). :D

I had the same experience with a Santi dry Suit: bad fit=bad experience= Loathing for dry suits.

My old suit was a trilam like the Santi. This is much different. Really does feel more like a wet suit.

Yes, the outer skin is stretchy with pockets. A friend who currently has an old (more than 10 years old) DUI he bought used said he used to have a Fusion. Dove like a dream, but it was a heart attack to get into it. :wink:

This one fits me better than the Sport loaner since the skin is cut for women. Maybe because the AirCore liner is softer, too.

I won’t test the AirCore breathability much at the quarry tomorrow as air temps will be in the 60sF. Dive buddy’s original people he was going to dive with tomorrow cancelled since air temps are too cold for them (warm water divers). :D
Marie

I don't really have an issue getting into it, its getting out!
I normally get my buddy to give my feet a pull to get me out :).

The trick getting in, is to pull on the inner lining, not the outer skin.

The noticeable thing is the amount of condensation you get on the inside. I invested in one of those hangers with a fan to help dryout the inside when I put it in the garage.

You mentioned the boots, mine are not Whites boots, but another manufacturers, I went for fit and comfort. The shop sold a number of different brands. I actually have two pairs. One, two size too large, it's the pair I normally use, because I can get a double layer on my feet (Fourth Element hots socks, and the FF Arctic socks).

Marie

I don't really have an issue getting into it, its getting out!
I normally get my buddy to give my feet a pull to get me out :).

The trick getting in, is to pull on the inner lining, not the outer skin.

The noticeable thing is the amount of condensation you get on the inside. I invested in one of those hangers with a fan to help dryout the inside when I put it in the garage.

You mentioned the boots, mine are not Whites boots, but another manufacturers, I went for fit and comfort. The shop sold a number of different brands. I actually have two pairs. One, two size too large, it's the pair I normally use, because I can get a double layer on my feet (Fourth Element hots socks, and the FF Arctic socks).

My issue getting out is the arms/shoulders I found the AirCore was easier getting out of with feet due to the suit being slicker than the loaner DryCore. My Fourth Element socks didn’t come off my feet with the new suit.

I’ve had a HangAir fan for a while. Always used it on my previous drysuit, too.

ETA: If I want more layers on my feet, I have merino wool socks with silk liners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom