Conditions Report - Morehead City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any other NC gear tips?

NC diving is all open ocean diving. Be sure to have gear that can get you rescued if you get separated from the boat on the surface. SMB, whistle or horn, light. The reel can be used to deploy your SMB from 15 feet should you get lost and have to make an ascent away from the anchor line (which is a BIG no-no). Then the boat will know where you are (and what direction you are drifting) while you do your stop. The boat cannot come get you until all the other divers are on the boat, and the anchor is freed from the wreck.

Thanks for the tips. I do have AOW and fit the requirements they wanted, but most of my ocean experience has been on reefs, walls, etc. Did do a wreck dive out of VA Beach last year that probably had a similar boat experience, but the dive was only about 65'. My deeper dives have been in Cozumel, so those are much different too. Anyway, this one will be a little different than dives I've done before, so I figured I get your tips. I also reserved a Divemaster to show me the ropes. I'm sure I'll be fine, just like to be prepared.

One of the biggest adjustments folks new to NC diving have to make is the entry. If there is current on the surface, there is no time for the "ok" signal, or buoyancy checks. Divers are asked to go into the water "negative" and continue sinking to the hangline. This is contrary to almost all training, but it is the right way to do it under these circumstances. It makes being sure your tank valve is open very important. Most mates will check it at the exit point.

On my boat it is a back roll, but on the larger crew boats, it is a giant stride from 6-8' above the water. Contact with the line should be almost immediate to avoid getting carried away in the current.

You may want to check the operation you are diving with for an afternoon "In Shore" trip. These are typically a wreck in the 50'-75' range, one tank. If you can arrange to arrive in time to do one of these the day before you go further out/deeper, it will give you a chance to get familiar with the boat procedures and wreck diving in general in a slightly less stressful situation.

Reserving a DM is a great idea for your first trip (your own private dive buddy). The DM will help you figure out the parts that are unique to NC diving, and you'll probably see more than you would have on your own.

Enjoy the trip.

Well it turned out to be "all for naught." I drove the 7 hours only to have the dives cancelled due to weather. Looks like 4 of the last 7 have been cancelled. They don't tell you that until you get there though, of course. But I'd read enough on here and elsewhere to know that was a possibility. So I had a contingency plan ready...

I ended up driving over to Fantasy Lake for a couple dives before heading home this morning. The quarry was actually kind of fun. Warm water (82 at the surface) and enough things to see that the combination of one afternoon dive and one night dive worked out well. The owner lives on site and was very helpful whenever I needed anything.

For what its worth, the dive lodge wasn't bad.

Sorry that it didn't work out for you. We've hit a windy spell lately, which has made diving tough.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I may just stick with my more sure plan of local diving in quarries, then going to the Caribbean when its time for some better diving. Seems like the times I've looked for the higher end diving closer to home, either the dive or the conditions have not been great. I guess if I'm ever in the area again though, I might pop by and see if there is an open spot. Seems like a hard thing to plan an itinerary for ahead of time though.

Truthfully, I guess that is the nature of diving in general. The ocean seems to totally ignore my requests sometimes :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm starting to think I may just stick with my more sure plan of local diving in quarries, then going to the Caribbean when its time for some better diving. Truthfully, I guess that is the nature of diving in general. The ocean seems to totally ignore my requests sometimes :)

Man, don't give up of Carolina diving. When you hit it right, it is awesome!! Sometimes we hit a stretch of good days as long as this stretch of strong SSW flow that is going on now. I had a group come in May that booked me for 5 days and we ran 4 out of 5. None were perfect on the surface but the diving was great.

I am sorry it didn't work out for you. The Captains wanted to run as much as you wanted to dive. It is open ocean diving, Mother Ocean is glorious one day and damn bitchy the next! :shakehead:

We still love her even though some times she has an extended periods of moodiness.

It is a hard call to make in advance. Friday was rough and windy, Saturday the wind fell out and it was nice in the morning, and today it was just snotty. All 3 days had the same forecast. The reason we make the call in the morning is that is when we know for sure. Nothing is worse than calling a trip the day before and waking up to light winds and calm seas and no charter. One of my most memorable days of diving was one May when I went to bed at midnight to howling winds only to wake up to dead calm winds and gentle seas at six am.

Having said all that, I called off my charter for the morning so my customers didn't drive down here "for naught".

It probably will be beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom