Question “Concierge Diving” Is that a thing or marketing babble?

the phrase “CONCIERGE DIVING”, absolute BS or just made-up gobbledygook?

• I prefer my DMs to be dressed like Jeeves, white gloves, please

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I want to be hoisted over and gently plopped in the soup, then hauled aboard similarly

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Fresh cut fruit is nice, but where’s the frozen blender drinks?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • That fresh water you’re splashing on me post-dive, make it 92°

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Rig my reg? “Don’t touch my stuff, I’ll kill’ya!” Frances, aka Psycho (Stripes)

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I now will require Whale Sharks. Make it so.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • So blah blah blah, I got DCS, yeah so, where’s the mint flavored Oxygen?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our dive staff carries your tanks like every other dive-op, why else would we have DM “Interns”?

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • The once weekly night dive is $60 extra (if we get 6 minimum) but you get this cool Cyalume Stick!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Our dive boats are 22’ long, but we limit it to 6 divers

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect the level of service depends on the ratio of local/tourist divers.

I suspect in the US Pacific Northwest (and Southwest Canada), California, and cold water places generally most of the divers are reasonably local. They likely have their own gear. They'll go for cheaper, more frequent diving if on a budget. And labor costs are higher.

In warm water places most divers are tourists. They don't have their own gear, or they do and may choose not to haul it. (ScubaBoarders may be an exception to that. We're not a random sample...) They'll need gear anyway. Labor is cheap.

That leads to more services in the tropics.

So a lot of speculative presumptions above. Am I wrong? Missing something?

Spot on for Asia. I am just about to get my local flight to Bohol from Manila in 90 mins. I will have the same DM for all my dives and have had same DM previously. We may have other divers join us if they want to do 75 minute plus dives. Some may dive with us and be sent to another group if low on air after 50 mins. I bring all my own gear as too fat for local rental lol

Yes, they just a taxi out to the dive site.
But no. When I questioned whether this was true of ALL dive ops on the Great Lakes, Marie acknowledged that Divers Den in Tobermory doesn't require you to "source your own rental gear, including tanks and weights," as I understood the meaning of "source." Rather, you can rent tanks and weights from Divers Den and then carry them down to the dock to Divers Den's boat in one of their carts, just as I have done in many of the "warm water" places Marie implied are universally more concierge-y than that. I was specifically thinking of Divers Den when I wrote that. It's no different than many warm-water places, and no, all warm water divers will not be "in for a surprise" on the Great Lakes. Says this "warm-water diver" who was not surprised.

Looks like a lot of ‘danglies’.
But at least top-flight floatation devices. Safety first, you know.

Reactions: Doc
….When I questioned whether this was true of ALL dive ops on the Great Lakes,
Depends on location. In my Chicago-Milwaukee zone, the real estate near piers is too pricey to support retail LDS and the easy access that would provide. The physical transport of heavy rental stuff (tanks) then becomes an issue.

Dive boats mooring slips- not at the street area, have to hump the gear down the wharf. These factors often force individuals to perform both of those functions. Sometimes the boat will have a hand cart For group use.

These divers are heavy metal. Not generally prone to single Alu80’s. Weight harnesses all trimmed out. Manifold doubles or 120’s. In this area, we’re catering to a DIY group for all those reasons, and more.

This OP was really about “marketing“. In that vein, the connection between LDS and Dive Charters was very established from the 1970’s. Some LDS owners went vertical integration and owned their own dive boats, no small thing as many found out. The Dive Boat captains also dabbled in some retail (largely in Milwaukee area) and provided gas at their ‘shop’.

[ consider this: in the Caribbean Model, a resort that contracts with an off-prem dive service provider, the boat comes to the resort laden with pre-ordered simple BCD set-ups. See the difference and similarity? ]

This 70’-80’s time period also gave us a shift from 7/8” wetsuits, to the exotica of the primitive and expensive early dry suits. Now, it’s the norm, rarely rented, usually advanced quickly to ownership, more personal crap to haul to the boat.

As the diver population that would tolerate the Lake Michigan “experience” waned, as the Caribbean changed from exotic, pricey, Clutch Cargo to Club Med, more cold water divers got ”too old to be cold”, so LDS switched to selling (or renting) WWPF rigs and doing Caribbean trips- easier for the LDS rather than local cold water diving. Easier money, easier sell.

LDS parking lots changed from Pick-Up Trucks to SUVs.

The divers learn the Dive Charter Boat’s boarding process and approved methodology for gear transfer pretty quickly. The DMs will likely CONCIERGE the clumsy, unknowing or clinically stupid. Space and safety are a consideration. Then, the guests have to hump their non-stowable containers back to their vehicles.

This is where all the Milk Dairies store those plastic milk crates between deliveries. :wink:

In this Milwaukee-Chicago zone, there’s a lot of personal effort, not so much concierge, but arguably catered. These divers are really good divers, there is no margin for stupid.

I voted DIY. I prefer to haul and setup my own gear. It's pretty normal here (ontario, canada) that divers are bringing along everything they need for charters themselves. Like stated above, it's often just a boat ride to the site and a briefing..... and pool's open. be back in about an hour or so.
I've found basically all operators are willing to help with fins, or lend a steadying hand, but they don't really supply anything equipment wise. They likely have a save a dive kit on board, (especially in Toby) and may help with basic stuff, but it's not expected. It's not much like your typical Caribbean diving op. Even when diving there, I prefer no one handles my gear. I'm particular about how it's done, and like it that way.

But no. When I questioned whether this was true of ALL dive ops on the Great Lakes, Marie acknowledged that Divers Den in Tobermory doesn't require you to "source your own rental gear, including tanks and weights," as I understood the meaning of "source." Rather, you can rent tanks and weights from Divers Den and then carry them down to the dock to Divers Den's boat in one of their carts, just as I have done in many of the "warm water" places Marie implied are universally more concierge-y than that. I was specifically thinking of Divers Den when I wrote that. It's no different than many warm-water places, and no, all warm water divers will not be "in for a surprise" on the Great Lakes. Says this "warm-water diver" who was not surprised.
Yes you can rent gear and tanks from the dive shops up here. I was referring to the boat, there are no DM's or dive guides on the boat. You are on your own in the water.

Yes you can rent gear and tanks from the dive shops up here. I was referring to the boat, there are no DM's or dive guides on the boat. You are on your own in the water.
I know. Several of us are talking about different things. We can thank @Doc for the clarity of the question :wink:

I know. Several of us are talking about different things. We can thank @Doc for the clarity of the question :wink:
Moi? Using words and phrases of multiple meanings ? Just to get some thinking going ?

Well
i
never…..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom