Question “Concierge Diving” Is that a thing or marketing babble?

the phrase “CONCIERGE DIVING”, absolute BS or just made-up gobbledygook?

• I prefer my DMs to be dressed like Jeeves, white gloves, please

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I want to be hoisted over and gently plopped in the soup, then hauled aboard similarly

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Fresh cut fruit is nice, but where’s the frozen blender drinks?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • That fresh water you’re splashing on me post-dive, make it 92°

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Rig my reg? “Don’t touch my stuff, I’ll kill’ya!” Frances, aka Psycho (Stripes)

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I now will require Whale Sharks. Make it so.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • So blah blah blah, I got DCS, yeah so, where’s the mint flavored Oxygen?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our dive staff carries your tanks like every other dive-op, why else would we have DM “Interns”?

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • The once weekly night dive is $60 extra (if we get 6 minimum) but you get this cool Cyalume Stick!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Our dive boats are 22’ long, but we limit it to 6 divers

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is Concierge Diving different than the other 99 Caribbean dive-ops?
I've been to at least two dozen different dive ops in the Caribbean -- plus several in Mexico -- and Reef Divers in Little Cayman and Cayman Brac are the only ones I would call concierge/valet. Some others were helpful with a few things, but none like those two.
If you have to move a tank yourself, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to walk across a deck with gear on, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to rinse your own gear, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to wear your gear when exiting the water onto a boat, that's not concierge/valet. If you smile and offer snacks on the SI, that is NOT enough to be concierge/valet.

Reactions: Doc
I've been to at least two dozen different dive ops in the Caribbean -- plus several in Mexico -- and Reef Divers in Little Cayman and Cayman Brac are the only ones I would call concierge/valet. Some others were helpful with a few things, but none like those two.
If you have to move a tank yourself, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to walk across a deck with gear on, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to rinse your own gear, that's not concierge/valet. If you have to wear your gear when exiting the water onto a boat, that's not concierge/valet. If you smile and offer snacks on the SI, that is NOT enough to be concierge/valet.
Thanks for fleshing out that explanation. From my experience however, i think damn near everyone in the Caribbean is offering all of that. Or, maybe i’m just spoiled or lucky?

To your point, however, your list bespeaks generally 1st Level type islands, where should one not expect this (now) as the norm? (Most folks simply have NEVER yet seen a Level 2 rock, in the category of Tobago, Los Roques, Guanaja, etc)

In the OP, I did stipulate Caribbean week-long dive ops, as they seem to have decided ownership of this new Concierge terminology. I have trudged behind pack mules in Mexico (1972), and I thought that was pretty up-scale. Not that kind of thing- This was intended to be about Caribbean Resort experience, WWPF.

This should have been in the OP:

In alpine skiing, there is truly a distinction in “concierge” services. In the Americas especially, it can be seen. One list… Alta > Snowmass > Las Lenas> Deer Valley > Eagle Point

From “the norm” to the “stratospheric”. There are distinct upgrading differences in each service experience. [Dunning-Krueger now raises it’s reviled head]

As in dive-ops, or as seen with liveaboards, one or three ski trips do not make for a seasoned opinion, especially in regards to comparative qualities of “niceties”. You begin to notice consistencies and what might easily be judged as nominal. (Or, much worse… as “acceptable” deficiencies)

What is seen by many as “special services” are required due operational deficiencies (many times, quite understandable), A lot of what i’m seeing referenced as “concierge” are merely work-arounds for lesser grade infrastructure (boats, storage, rinse tanks, wharfage). Sometimes it’s just better, safer and more efficient to have their staff handle it, labor being cheaper than investing in infrastructure.

Concierge or real deal DM….Not a bad thing:

Diving off of a Philippine panga (enameled paint wooden deck, 3’ gunnels, bamboo outrigger spars lashed with monofilament, wooden vertical ladders, crazy currents)….Yes, the DM had better be the very controlling Chief Commander wearing the happy Concierge Hat.

A lot of “concierge” sensation is caused by the legitimate need to herd cats.

But… the need to call it that? Still not convinced :)

I’m fairly familiar with the dive ops to western NY. Showing up to the boat and your tanks/weights automatically being there like in the Caribbean doesn’t exist here. Even in Toby with Divers Den, you have arrange for tanks separately. You have to go to the shop and haul your tanks to the boat. That’s at least how it was in 2019.
I wasn't referring so much to "the Caribbean" as I was to your "warm water divers." Sure, "tanks/weights automatically being there" is how it works in many Caribbean resort areas, but certainly not all, and I believe it is not that common in Florida. I believe most dive ops in Florida, and some in the Caribbean, work just like Divers Den. You bring tanks and weights from the shop out to the dock.

Reactions: Doc
I wasn't referring so much to "the Caribbean" as I was to your "warm water divers." Sure, "tanks/weights automatically being there" is how it works in many Caribbean resort areas, but certainly not all, and I believe it is not that common in Florida. I believe most dive ops in Florida, and some in the Caribbean, work just like Divers Den. You bring tanks and weights from the shop out to the dock.

All of the dive ops I use in South FL will load your tanks on the boat for you, both those rented from them and those you bring. The only exception I can recall was Pompano Dive Ctr and they are no longer in business. I of course don't use all of the dive ops down here, but I have experience with roughly a dozen of the largest in Palm Beach/Broward counties and Key Largo. Also, all of these boats have plenty of weights on the boat that are free to use. If you want a specific type (soft vs. hard) or increment of weights, it is best to bring your own.

As far as concierge service, that is all that the FL boats offer. They will not assemble/dissassemble your gear. Many do put a guide in the water with you, but they are a guide, not your buddy nor a DM there to watch your a$$.

It is not uncommon to see people who are used to concierge diving. Once all their gear is loaded, they get on the boat and then just start relaxing and chatting while everyone else is putting gear together. Someone has to actually tell them, "Hey Nancy, you probably want to put your gear together if you plan to dive." Occasionally you get one that gets a deer in the headlights look at that point.

All of the dive ops I use in South FL will load your tanks on the boat for you, both those rented from them and those you bring.
I'm sure you have far more experience with FL dive ops than I do, but do they always do that, or only if you ask them? I recall bringing my tanks to the boat at Jupiter Dive Center, and maybe also at a place in the Keys (I don't recall which--that was years ago). Granted, others may have asked for assistance--I don't know. I'm not arguing that plenty of dive ops will always have your tanks pre-loaded on the boat--just that I didn't think most FL dive ops did that. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I don't consider tanks waiting for you on the boat to be the defining feature of "concierge service." Whether we're talking FL, the Caribbean, or many other places in the world, that much is fairly common.

I'm sure you have far more experience with FL dive ops than I do, but do they always do that, or only if you ask them? I recall bringing my tanks to the boat at Jupiter Dive Center, and maybe also at a place in the Keys (I don't recall which--that was years ago). Granted, others may have asked for assistance--I don't know. I'm not arguing that plenty of dive ops will always have your tanks pre-loaded on the boat--just that I didn't think most FL dive ops did that. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I don't consider tanks waiting for you on the boat to be the defining feature of "concierge service." Whether we're talking FL, the Caribbean, or many other places in the world, that much is fairly common.

They all do that, even JDC. Perhaps they didn't used to, but all the boats I use regularly now all load the boat. This is both a service they provide but it also allows them to arrange the boat the way they want it. The one difference is your other gear. With some boats (JDC for example), you carry your other gear onto the boat. But with other boats (Kyalami and Pura Vida for example), they load your other gear as well.

And I would agree. In my opinion this is not what differentiates concierge service. To me that would entail doing everything for you except for the diving itself, and even that they cover to some degree (establish the dive plan, DM tells you when to come up, etc.). It would NOT be a type of diving I'd be comfortable with!

In my opinion this is not what differentiates concierge service. To me that would entail doing everything for you except for the diving itself, and even that they cover to some degree (establish the dive plan, DM tells you when to come up, etc.). It would NOT be a type of diving I'd be comfortable with!
That does indeed exist, maybe a next step after the Disney Aquarium Adventure?

The Resort Course 2.o crowd? A lot of that- as diving is getting dumbed-down and homogenized on the Club Dread model.

Just because you can figure out how to get on a LOB once in the Galloping Pogos or Raging Armpit… does not a reasoned opinion make.

This is becoming the majority of Caribbean diving, sad to say. (The Red Sea North is very similar) This is also explained by Dunning-Krueger, where those with experience assume that most everybody else is at that level Of expertise- not so.

Look around when we do Warm Water Pretty Fish diving, a whole lot of new kids fumbling their way through it. Not many are hitting on all cylinders. A real noticeable decline in self-reliance and general ability over the last three decades.

My query for defining Concierge Diving did begin with the constant use of the phrase on Twit Advisor, a place not known for the level of SCUBA travel knowledge as is SB. It has spread, annoyingly- to me, to the website yammering of dive shops in paradise grasping for a distinction, any distinction, something.

This, from a WWPF dive-op website, look closely:
A77C6E67-39FE-4EFF-A895-070E8F0F11E9.jpeg

If she’s a DM making a point, that there is very Concierge to me.

Trip Advisor has a vast majority of inexperienced divers (mostly snorkelers) but they gush about “concierge diving”. Also, in this small group, the bulk of them are Cruise Ship Divers (aka Pod People). We know what we know.

Maybe it would be easier for me to swallow if it was called or “Coddled Diving”?

agreed

These are some funny choices. Thank you for making me laugh.
And thank you for recognizing the over-arching joke, here.

Sometimes, you just have to chum the waters to bring up the humorless heavy lunkers, some Dolphins, too.

My minimum for Concierge Diving:

10BB4F7F-9A7D-43BE-868B-D4F548ACCF5B.jpeg

How about a hug from a mega voluptuous dive master when you come out of the water at end of your dive?? Would that do it for you?

:p

Back
Top Bottom