Concerned about Aeris Atmos 2 Algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I thought I had done my research before buying my new Aeris Atmos 2 dive computer but wouldn't-you-have-guessed... NOW I find out that the algorithm might actually be toooo liberal. I am diving within rec limits and maybe down to 165 feet at some point in the future.

My questions are:

1) Did I make a bad purchase?
2) Do Aeris computers have a bad reputation?
3) Are there any studies linking algorithms to DCS?

I've never heard anything bad about the Aeris computers. In fact I had always heard that they were middle of the road to slightly concervative. The biggest complaint I have ever heard was about the time to fly being just a basic count down. I was planning to buy an Atmos 2 myself until I looked at the Uwatec Smart Pro last week.

I have an Aeris Atmos Pro and I love it. The time to fly is just a 24 hour countdown but I pretty much ignore that and look at the time to desaturate instead. That seems a realistic mimimum time to fly to me.

If you are concerned about it being too liberal (and I dont believe that it is) just set your personal limit 1 or 2 (or whatever) blobs before the yellow caution zone.

The maximum allowed bottom time at 160 feet is all of 7 minutes

Back
Top Bottom