concern of my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is NOT a fan of 'things' touching her either. She won't even walk down the driveway to get the mail after a rain, for fear of 'touching' a worm! However, she did try snorkeling and loved it. Now the two of us are going to Paamul, Mexico to complete our referral dives on May 5. Snorkeling might be worth a try.

Imorin has an excellent point - "I think it's important to distinguish whether reluctance over "things" in the water reflects a real concern about fish, jellies, etc., or a general reluctance to pursue diving for a variety of reasons." - Imorin My SigOther voiced concern over a number of, to me, seemingly insignificant things when I tried to get her to consider diving - In the end, it turned out to be an honest dislike of all the equipment that was required -I give her credit though, she tried it... then said "not for me". Now its just my son and I. - Chris

retire2disney:
I am new to this board and sport. I have not even signed up yet for classes. I would go right now except for I really want my wife and I to take the classes together. She is having concerns about diving as a whole. If we could dive in a pool with no fish or any other nature in it this would not be a problem. She is worried about "things" (her words) touching her. How often does this really happen? I have tried to tell her that they are going to get far away from us as divers. Am I correct or is my hope of getting her to go is useless? Thanks
lol my gf has a similar issue. she is afraid that a "shark will bite her baby toes off"
she wants to take the class but is aprehensive about diving in the ocean. hell if i could just get her to commit to a date to take it so i could sign her up id be happy lol

The only thing that has ever came near me has been a Blue gill in a Quarry. Just avoid the spot where people feed them.

I have had cleaner wrasse pull the hair on my legs (I no longer wear a shorty), remoras try to attach themselves to my crotch (always a little unnerving), and a silvertips shark bump me from behind (quite a bit unnerving.) I have a running battle with the damselfish on the jetty at Harbour Village in Bonaire, who take exception to my photographing the juveniles in the neighborhood. They haven't drawn blood yet, but they do get me to back off a little.

My wife had the exact same anxiety. From topside, she viewed the marine life as being part of a different world, which seemed to be the root of her worry. but once underwater so she was immersed in that world, the anxiety seemed to go away and the interaction with critters wasn't scary at all.

One of the woman in my OW class was getting certified because she was afraid of fish, and wanted to get over her fear. I don't know what became of her, but she was probably eaten by a shark to please the irony gods.

Make sure you get the coveted Deep End Certification. You don't want to miss out on any of the wonders of the pool.

eeeewwww.... where do you work as intructor? I would wanna avoid LDS which has turd in pool....... nasty..........:11:

Back
Top Bottom