Conception Indictments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's some significant charges x 34

I noticed this comment by Glenn Fritzlers attorney: "We and our clients are and will be forever saddened by this tragedy".

IMHO, I suppose the list of things they could say due to liability is short but this just seems so inadequate compared to the scale of what happened as to be a waste of time to say because you really said nothing.

That it is seaman’s manslaughter is a big deal. The standards that the state have to meet are much lower, simple negligence, not gross negligence.

I noticed this comment by Glenn Fritzlers attorney: "We and our clients are and will be forever saddened by this tragedy".

IMHO, I suppose the list of things they could say due to liability is short but this just seems so inadequate compared to the scale of what happened as to be a waste of time to say because you really said nothing.
And since it is seaman’s manslaughter, the owner is just as liable as the ships officers. I expect the last of the indictments haven’t been handed down.

Complacency kills. Every sailor worth his salt knows that. We are all responsible for our actions and our inactions, regardless of whether the result was intended or unintended. Rest assured the government has the burden of proving those actions and/or inactions meet the standard of manslaughter before he is found guilty. On the other hand, these situations very rarely result in indictments so things are not looking good for Jerry.

At least he gets the chance to plead his case in court. 34 people don't.

The Truth Aquatic website is still up. No mention at all of anything related to the accident on the site. In the section about the staff, the Captain of the Conception who just got indicted is still listed as the captain of the Conception-as if nothing ever happened. Strange.
I wonder if the owners will be held criminally responsible as well. I also don't understand how their business licenses supposedly haven't been revoked yet. Why does this company seemingly still exist? Why even have the website at all unless its strictly as a memorial to their victims?
When Corona times pass us by, and things start to normalize again, does anyone think anyone would actually ever go on one of their trips again? I wouldn't. There has to be a better option for diving where they go.

Cocoanut Grove fire - Wikipedia

It reminds me of this, lots of development in codes, which will probably make anything close to live aboard diving in California more exclusive because of the increased operating expense.

I wonder if there is a plea deal in the works. You don’t want to go to trial in Federal Court on this preventable tragedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom