What happened to the Captain of the Conception?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm having my Divemaster students review the Conception fire, and I'm not finding any documentation on what ultimately happened to the Captain. I thought I remember that he got some jail time, but the most recents information I can find is from the Oct 2022 new indictment.

Anyone have any links or documents of that? Or is it still pending?

Also, re-reading the NTSB report sucks. I can't even read the radio log without getting angry and emotional.

You're right, I missed that bit of news and misread your original post. So the new charges brought in October '22 are not for manslaughter, but for misconduct or neglect of ship officer. According to this release from the courts, this charge does not require the prosecutors to show gross negligence, so it sounds like a lower burden of proof must be met: Federal Grand Jury Issues New Indictment in Conception Boat Fire . In November '22, Boylan plead not guilty, and I believe he is currently awaiting trial. (I'm an engineer, not a lawyer, so my apologies if my interpretation is incorrect or misleading).

According to this reporting from the LA Times in Dec '22, video footage has been recovered from one of the victim's cellphones, that shows the scene belowdecks as people were awakend and tried to escape. That video has a timestamp of 3:17 AM. Capt Boylan's mayday call that went out 3:14 AM. If these timestamps are correct, it paints a pretty grim picture of the victims' final moments. As far as I can tell, this video is not publicly available -- I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch it anyway. But LA Times reports that the family members of some victims have seen it, so it's out there: As Conception boat burned, video shows divers trapped below deck sought way out. 34 people died

I have not found any relevant information since Dec '22. I tried to find court documents that would tell us when Capt Boylan's trial is set to begin, but did not find any. If a lawyer (or just someone better at searching than me) could provide this information, I would appreciate it.

Don't know which would be worse: what I could imagine the scene was like below decks or the actual video of what it was like. Damn horrible either way.

Everyone should watch that video.

If Jaws made everyone fear sharks for 40 years, imagine what this could do. Wont be anymore unwatched lipo battery charging.

Everyone should watch that video.

If Jaws made everyone fear sharks for 40 years, imagine what this could do. Wont be anymore unwatched lipo battery charging.
What video ? Anyone have a link ?

What video ? Anyone have a link ?

"The man whose sister died said authorities informed him a few months ago that the footage existed and that he watched the video on a secure server at the FBI’s office in Sacramento. He said he was told that the family of the female diver whose cell phone recorded the video agreed to allow relatives of other victims to view it if they wished. He said it was not clear if this was all the cell phone captured or whether the FBI forensic technicians could only recover that segment. The man said that after seeing it last Thursday, he reached out to other families and advised them not to view it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom